Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Dual climate control

Search this Thread

Old July 8th, 2012, 10:31 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dual climate control

I own a 2004 silverado 4X4 extended cab. Dual climate control.
I have searched the forums and have not found my exact problem.

This occured for the first time yesterday. (of course it was a four hour trip to pick up my 85 year old mother in Florida).

Everything was fine, when my passenger said she was dying from the heat. I reached over to feel how cool the a/c was on her side. WOW, the heat coming out of her vents was red hot. Drivers side was blowing cold air and it was blowing cold air in the back seat.

Later in the trip, it began blowing cold air on passenger side and went back to blowing hot air, then back to cold. Back and forth for the whole trip.
Anyone have any clues ??? Any suggestions ????

Thank you in advance, Ted
Old July 8th, 2012, 11:17 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Ted,

Your symptom really does sound like a faulty mode door actuator or a control issue.

Take this truck to Chevrolet for repair. You just do not want to dive into this somewhat complicated system.

Allan
Old July 10th, 2012, 1:30 AM
CF Beginner

Youtube has quite a few videos on some of the easier things to check for with this issue. A simple vice grip fixed my truck until I could get the part ordered. If I wanted to change it from hot to cold I had to release the grips but it was a cheap fix at the time
Old July 10th, 2012, 7:23 AM
CF Beginner

If it does it again, I'll look into the vice grip trick. It actually has not malfunctioned since I got home. I live in southern Florida, so I really don't need the heat.
I have to make the same 4 hour trip I took when it wasn't working right. So, we'll see what happens tomorrow.

PS I did find a link from a "sparky" or something like that. He showed step by step how to replace the door actuator. Quite a job. I hope it never fails again.

Thanks
Old July 27th, 2012, 1:54 PM
CF Beginner

Just to let you know..................it is 2 weeks later and problem has not reoccured.

I will just blame it on my 85 year old mother jinxing the truck. LOL That was the last time she was in my truck.