Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

engine problems

Search this Thread

Old October 7th, 2010, 12:38 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine problems

I have a 1994 Z71 with 152xxx miles on it. When i start it, it blows white smoke out of the tail pipe. It also does this when under heavy acceleration. I was looking under the hood when someone started it and notised whith smoke coming out of where you put the dip stick in at.

Another thing is when its in gear and idling the oil pressure drops to zero. If i put it in park or neutral it goes back up a little bit. When driving it stayes at about 40.

Can anyone help me?
Old October 7th, 2010, 2:06 PM
CF Active Member

White smoke is usually water. Could be an intake or possibly a head problem. Keep on eye on your oil, especially if you see white smoke out the dipstick. If you get foamy oil (water and oil mix), you are in trouble.

In regards to your oil pressure, if you are confident your gauge is accurate, then with that many miles on the motor, it could be a number of things. The main bearings are wearing out, the oil pump is weak, etc. I would verify the oil pressure gauge before I did a rebuild. Also, If you do have water in the oil, that could also contribute to your second concern.

Hope this helps

Eric
Old October 7th, 2010, 8:51 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sound like the engine is beat. You should confirm it with a oil pressure gauge. Does the smoke have a bluish tint?
Old October 7th, 2010, 10:53 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by ericnottelin
White smoke is usually water. Could be an intake or possibly a head problem. Keep on eye on your oil, especially if you see white smoke out the dipstick. If you get foamy oil (water and oil mix), you are in trouble.

In regards to your oil pressure, if you are confident your gauge is accurate, then with that many miles on the motor, it could be a number of things. The main bearings are wearing out, the oil pump is weak, etc. I would verify the oil pressure gauge before I did a rebuild. Also, If you do have water in the oil, that could also contribute to your second concern.

Hope this helps

Eric

I think i`ll start with an oil change and if that doesnt work ill try a new pump. I was lookin at it this afternoon and i think the smoke is coming from the exhaust header its just rising around the dipstick.

Someone told me it could be the valve is why its smoking, because once its warm it doesnt smoke anymore.
Old October 8th, 2010, 8:37 AM
CF Beginner

I had this happen in my POS blazer it was the valve seals were leaking when the truck was off. Every morning the thing looked like the friggin bat mobile
Old October 8th, 2010, 10:24 AM
CF Active Member

If you think it is a sticky valve, Try SEAFOAM as an engine cleaner. Follow the directions on the can and then change the oil. That stuff is like magic.

If their is smoke coming of the header, then you probably have an oil leak (most likely the tappit cover gaskets). Clean the area really well with some good engine cleaner. Once everything is clean, and dry, see if you still have smoke coming off the headers/manifold. If the smoke stops for a period, keep and eye on the area and see if you can determine where the oil is coming from

Let me know how you make out.

Eric

Last edited by ericnottelin; October 8th, 2010 at 10:27 AM.