Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Excessive Oil Consumption 2010 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old December 27th, 2011, 1:54 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> JohnnyinKY,

I am not currently showing any known oil consumption issues for Silverados in my records. Taking the vehicle to the dealer for an inspection may help solve the problem. If you need assistance finding a dealer or setting up an appointment, I would be happy to help. Please keep us posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old December 27th, 2011, 4:15 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Have any mods been done that may have changed the way the engine is breathing? a bad PCV can cause oil consumption...
Old December 27th, 2011, 6:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by in2pro
Have any mods been done that may have changed the way the engine is breathing? a bad PCV can cause oil consumption...
I haven't made any mods. The truck is stock. I have not checked the PCV valve but will do that tomorrow. Thanks

JohnnyinKY,

I am not currently showing any known oil consumption issues for Silverados in my records. Taking the vehicle to the dealer for an inspection may help solve the problem. If you need assistance finding a dealer or setting up an appointment, I would be happy to help. Please keep us posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service
I will post back in this thread as time goes along with any updates that are significant.
Old December 30th, 2011, 11:06 AM
CF Beginner

I saw this thread and had to register.

A few months ago i bought a 2011 Silverado with the 5.3L LMG engine. I have always used synthetic oils in my trucks/cars/bikes and always had good results (i occasionally have my oil analyzed).

I changed out the factory fill @ 1500 miles and switched to Valvoline 5W30 synthetic. I sent the break in oil out for analysis for my own curiosity, and everything looked great. Copper levels were high but that's normal on a new engine.

Today my oil life monitor hit 50%, with the engine having a total of 5600 miles, 4100 since the last oil change. I drained the oil and was stunned to find that at best, 4.5 quarts came out (Engine was filled to spec, 6 quarts, 4100 miles ago).

This means that in 4,100 miles the engine used over 1.5 quarts of oil. I know this is a new engine that isn't fully broken in yet, but already burning 1 quart for every 2500 miles seems very excessive in a vehicle that has seen no hard use. Keep in mind, if i listened to the computer and oil consumption remained linear, it would be consuming half its oil volume by oil change time.

I have not towed or hauled any weight above 400lbs with this truck (only owned it for 3 months), and for the most part i'm very gentle on it. I have had trucks with 150K miles that burn 1/2 quart in 4,000 miles. The truck i replaced used 1/3 the oil as the 2011 i just bought brand new. I'm not freaking out about this, but i do find it concerning.

I took a sample of the oil and will be sending it out for lab analysis tomorrow. If there is anything revealed by the oil itself i'll be sure to update this thread.

For what it's worth, i've also noticed lifter tick that seems excessive to me, but it's not consistent. It's usually quiet, but occasionally ticks.

That said, fuel economy has been 18.5 mpg average, and power is spot on (I did 1 1/4 mile pass with the truck for laughs while i was racing my bike, truck ran 15.1 @ 91.6 which is right where it should be for a reg cab, 6'6" bed with 3.42 gears and 6L80e).

Matt

Last edited by Hoon; December 30th, 2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old December 30th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the forum

Yes the analysis feedback would be great to hear...
Old December 30th, 2011, 7:12 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is really strange to hear. Like I said my 11 has 22k on it now and doesnt use a drop, switched to Mobil 1 @1k changed every 8k since still clean and shows atleast 25% and if anyone puts it to the test its me! Mine is up on 35s, I run the living p*ss out of it, I tow 10 to 15000 lb trailers 2 or 3 times a week and its a halfton with 3.08s (right now). Also my dad put 260k on his 00 suburban before he wrecked it, and hes quite a slacka** changed oil with cheapstuff every 15 to 20k and it ran like a top, got 20mpg and didnt use any oil. Only thing he ever replaced in 260k was tires battery wipers and bulbs seriously. Thats the reason I bought a halfton because the 5.3 is an such an amazing motor. It really intriques me whats going on here and I hope you figure it out...
Old December 30th, 2011, 8:49 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by BIGGG11CHEVY
This is really strange to hear. Like I said my 11 has 22k on it now and doesnt use a drop, switched to Mobil 1 @1k changed every 8k since still clean and shows atleast 25% and if anyone puts it to the test its me! Mine is up on 35s, I run the living p*ss out of it, I tow 10 to 15000 lb trailers 2 or 3 times a week and its a halfton with 3.08s (right now). Also my dad put 260k on his 00 suburban before he wrecked it, and hes quite a slacka** changed oil with cheapstuff every 15 to 20k and it ran like a top, got 20mpg and didnt use any oil. Only thing he ever replaced in 260k was tires battery wipers and bulbs seriously. Thats the reason I bought a halfton because the 5.3 is an such an amazing motor. It really intriques me whats going on here and I hope you figure it out...
Stock tune?

With that kind of use, gearing and tire you're spending almost no time running on 4 cylinders, which might have a lot to do with it. From what i've read on these motors, the more time they spend on 4cyl the more oil they burn. In the 4 cylinders that deactivate the oil rings eventually gum up and stick to the piston, which further increases oil consumption. Rumor has it this is part of the reason GM now demands Dexos1 oils.

A tune might be in the near future. This AFM/DOD crap sucks (assuming it is the cause), but it can be turned off easily.

Last edited by Hoon; December 30th, 2011 at 8:52 PM.
Old December 30th, 2011, 9:53 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock tune yeah, But Ive only had the 35s on it for 2k before that it was in v4 plenty (Eastern Va is very flat) with no problems now of course its barely goes in on downhill with 35s and 3.08s... So How do you turn the V4 off? I feel like that would damage your engine and I dont pay for gas anyway so Id love to get rid of that crap! It does make sense now what you say about the 4 that arent running getting oil in the cylinders interesting...
Old December 31st, 2011, 6:24 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Hoon
I saw this thread and had to register.

A few months ago i bought a 2011 Silverado with the 5.3L LMG engine. I have always used synthetic oils in my trucks/cars/bikes and always had good results (i occasionally have my oil analyzed).

I changed out the factory fill @ 1500 miles and switched to Valvoline 5W30 synthetic. I sent the break in oil out for analysis for my own curiosity, and everything looked great. Copper levels were high but that's normal on a new engine.

Today my oil life monitor hit 50%, with the engine having a total of 5600 miles, 4100 since the last oil change. I drained the oil and was stunned to find that at best, 4.5 quarts came out (Engine was filled to spec, 6 quarts, 4100 miles ago).

This means that in 4,100 miles the engine used over 1.5 quarts of oil. I know this is a new engine that isn't fully broken in yet, but already burning 1 quart for every 2500 miles seems very excessive in a vehicle that has seen no hard use. Keep in mind, if i listened to the computer and oil consumption remained linear, it would be consuming half its oil volume by oil change time.

I have not towed or hauled any weight above 400lbs with this truck (only owned it for 3 months), and for the most part i'm very gentle on it. I have had trucks with 150K miles that burn 1/2 quart in 4,000 miles. The truck i replaced used 1/3 the oil as the 2011 i just bought brand new. I'm not freaking out about this, but i do find it concerning.

I took a sample of the oil and will be sending it out for lab analysis tomorrow. If there is anything revealed by the oil itself i'll be sure to update this thread.

For what it's worth, i've also noticed lifter tick that seems excessive to me, but it's not consistent. It's usually quiet, but occasionally ticks.

That said, fuel economy has been 18.5 mpg average, and power is spot on (I did 1 1/4 mile pass with the truck for laughs while i was racing my bike, truck ran 15.1 @ 91.6 which is right where it should be for a reg cab, 6'6" bed with 3.42 gears and 6L80e).

Matt
Yes, please post back with your oil analysis. That would be interesting. Also now that you mention it, my truck has lifter tick also. It is not real loud though. Maybe that has something to do with the issue.

Also, I have the flex fuel 5.3 V8. I am not sure if I have the AFM or not. How can I find out?

Thanks
Old January 9th, 2012, 3:55 PM
CF Beginner

I HAD THE SAME THING HAPPEND TO ME THIS SUMMER. I changed my oil. And a week later, I went on a 400 mile trip. When i got home I checked my oil. I was 2 qts low. I drive an 01 silverado with 192,000 miles. I was thinking new engine time. But I called my buddy who manages an autozone. He said to try a pcv. I was like,cant be that easy. It fixed it ! no more oil probs. try it . 3.00 dollar fix

Quick Reply: Excessive Oil Consumption 2010 Silverado