Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Excessive Oil Consumption 2010 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old January 19th, 2012, 3:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyinKY
Yes, please post back with your oil analysis. That would be interesting. Also now that you mention it, my truck has lifter tick also. It is not real loud though. Maybe that has something to do with the issue.

Also, I have the flex fuel 5.3 V8. I am not sure if I have the AFM or not. How can I find out?

Thanks
Oil results should be done in about a week, although i don't expect any good info from the oil itself.

Since my last oil change i've put 1100 miles on the truck and driven it a lot harder than i usually do. Harder acceleration, highway cruising above 80mph, etc.

Truck hasn't burned any noticeable amount of oil so far (i'd expect to see about 1/3 of a quart gone by now, but the level on the dipstick is unchanged).

For the next 1000 miles i'm going to run on 4cyl as much as possible and see if it starts to consume oil.

Updates in 2 weeks or so.
Old January 20th, 2012, 6:13 AM
CF Beginner

Also, I have the flex fuel 5.3 V8. I am not sure if I have the AFM or not. How can I find out?

Thanks
Well I finally figured the AFM thing out. I do have it. I did not have the DIC buttons and just installed them. That opened up a lot of info that I did not know was available.

The engine is constantly going back and forth from V4 to V8. I know that if I put the transmission in M5 it won't drop down to V4.

I wonder if there is anyway to permanently stop that switching.
Old January 20th, 2012, 1:35 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I finally figured the AFM thing out. I do have it. I did not have the DIC buttons and just installed them. That opened up a lot of info that I did not know was available.

The engine is constantly going back and forth from V4 to V8. I know that if I put the transmission in M5 it won't drop down to V4.

I wonder if there is anyway to permanently stop that switching.
I think some of the tuners will lock it out, Id like to do the same thing although mine never goes in V4 anymore with 35s and 3.08s. My way of thought is that it cant be good for the engine or even compression over time...
Old January 21st, 2012, 9:33 AM
CF Beginner

I was planning to retune my truck anyway, will definitely be turning off afm.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 11:55 AM
CF Beginner

I just got the lab results. The oil was in good shape overall, and would have been good to use for well beyond the 4,100 miles i ran it.

The only thing of note was that the viscosity was a little low. So far i have about 1,700 miles since my last oil change and the engine doesn't appear to have consumed any oil at all. I don't know how the motor drank 1.5 quarts over 4K miles and now is not consuming anything.

Strange.

Next oil change will be done whenever the computer hits 25%, or about 6K miles. FWIW i'm using Valvoline Synthetic 5W30 and Bosch filters.

Last edited by Hoon; February 2nd, 2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old March 3rd, 2012, 1:22 PM
CF Beginner

Default Oil is being consumed

I went to a dealer here in NY because my Transmission dip stick holder was broke. I told him that my 2010 Silveradoo used oil. It wasn't smoking and it wasn't leaking. He said that Chevyhad put out a bulletin that said oil was getting into the pvc and burning off. The fix ix to replace the head gasket on the drivers side of tthe engine.
Old March 4th, 2012, 9:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

the bulletin says to replace/install an updated valve cover not replace the head gasket.

oil consumption over 1 quart every 2000 miles is the guideline for replacement.
Old March 5th, 2012, 5:48 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
the bulletin says to replace/install an updated valve cover not replace the head gasket.

oil consumption over 1 quart every 2000 miles is the guideline for replacement.
Thank you for that info! I will contact my local dealer and see what they will do for me.
Old March 30th, 2012, 8:53 AM
CF Beginner

Have you received any information from GM about your oil consumption problem ?
Old April 2nd, 2012, 2:14 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2009 Tahoe

I was searching on the web about Chevy oil consumption and came across this thread. I had to join to post my info.

I have a 2009 Tahoe w/ 5.3L Flexfuel engine w/ 42k miles. I have used Amsoil 100% synthetic since 500 miles. My normal routine is after 7k miles I replace the filter and top the oil off, after the next 7k I replace the oil and filter. Amsoil says this oil is good for 20-25K. Last time when I was up for a filter change, I changed the filter put a qt. in and checked my oil and it was still low. I thought it was odd because normally a qt. or more makes the level ok. So I dumped another qt+ in and finally the oil level came up. I thought it was odd, called my dad and asked for his thoughts and he said if it's not leaking out anywhere it must getting burned and I should keep an eye on it. So I reset my trip meterand have been checking my oil when periodicly. I checked it Thursday and I was 1.5 qts low after 1400 miles. No math major here, but that is 3 qts. low in 3k miles. I called the dealer told them about it and they think it's because I tow my boat on the weekends (not as much as i would like). I took it to them today and they are going to run a consumption test but they said that burning oil at this rate is "common". I said it is common in my outboard but I didn't know I needed to add oil when I put gas in my truck too?? They said there have been bulletins released concerning this problem and based off of the consumption test they will make repairs as described in the bulletins to "help" with the problem but it will never get better than a qt. every 3k miles. I think this is crazy, in 2009 I traded my 2000 GMC Sierra 5.3l w/ 190k+ miles that I towed w/ just as regulary maybe more that never burned a drop of oil the entire time I owned the vehicle. The guy at the dealership acted like all vehicles burn oil like this. I'm a Chevy guy but so far I'm not real happy with my purchase if I need to add oil to my tow vehicle like I do my outboard.

Quick Reply: Excessive Oil Consumption 2010 Silverado