Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Excessive Oil Consumption 2010 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old January 6th, 2013, 8:45 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have an 09 chevy with the 5.3 motor with AFM. how do you turn off AFM?
Old January 6th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

I don't believe it is something a user/owner can do...
Not even sure its something the dealership service could do...That may be something Chevrolet Customer Service can answer
Old January 6th, 2013, 11:18 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gdw's chevy
I also have an 09 chevy with the 5.3 motor with AFM. how do you turn off AFM?
Any reputable performance shop who tunes late model performance cars can disable the AFM.

Our local tuner does it all the time to the 5th gen Camaro with the L99(auto trans) 6.2 liter engine.

The difference in driveability is HUGE and you will wonder why you did not do it sooner.
Old January 6th, 2013, 1:56 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 67Motorcat
Any reputable performance shop who tunes late model performance cars can disable the AFM.

Our local tuner does it all the time to the 5th gen Camaro with the L99(auto trans) 6.2 liter engine.

The difference in driveability is HUGE and you will wonder why you did not do it sooner.
That is good to know
Old January 6th, 2013, 6:25 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 67Motorcat

I have a 2009 Silverado 5.3 with AFM, I would like to disable the AFM.

I live in North West Arkansas, would anyone by chance know of a reputable place that could do this?
Old January 6th, 2013, 7:12 PM
Administrator

Keep in mind that the AFM is intended to help improve fuel economy, disabling will result in a lower overall MPG. I understand that the oil consumption can be a problem in its self, so it may be a reasonable tradeoff...
Old January 11th, 2013, 2:41 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by in2pro
I don't believe it is something a user/owner can do...
Not even sure its something the dealership service could do...That may be something Chevrolet Customer Service can answer
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> in2pro,

That is correct; doing so would be considered a modification, which could affect the vehicle warranty.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old January 11th, 2013, 7:42 PM
CF Beginner

Keep a close eye on it if it is still under warranty. Tore down a 2001 6.0 with 113,000 used oil but dealer said it was normal. When I got number 7 piston out it was missing the scraper rings on the top and bottom of the oil ring.
Over a quart between oil changes is just not right, don't let the dealer fool you.
Old January 12th, 2013, 8:34 AM
CF Beginner

Question: if it is possible to disable the AFM, can anyone post who has the 5.3 and performed this function?

Second question: did disabling the AFM help any in oil consumption?

If anyone has any information that would be great, I have a 2009 with 26,000 miles on it and I do not like the AFM. I am looking for a place (live in North West Arkansas) to disable it.
Old January 13th, 2013, 2:46 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
gm has posted a tsb to correct the condition.

- one valve cover is replaced
-a shield is installed over the oil pressure relief valve in the oil pan
- the spark plugs are removed and cleaning agent is added to the cylinders to remove the build up formed on the oil control rings
That is good info. Thanks. I'm still wondering why the dealer didn't mention there was a fix to the oil consumption problem.

Quick Reply: Excessive Oil Consumption 2010 Silverado