Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Firing Problems??

Search this Thread

Old March 30th, 2007, 11:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firing Problems??

I have a 2000 Silverado 5.3 and I have recently changed the spark plugs. Now I have a problem with the firing I guess. At 1500 RPM's it sounds like it is skipping real bad, and sometimes while driving. So I am thinking it is just one plug or something so I pull all of my plugs out and check them for cracks and all of them are fine....I put them back in and in cylinder #1 I think I may have crossthreaded it but Im not sure it seemed a little hard to tighten up but not extremely hard. Some friends have told me that I would KNOW if I had stripped it. I dont think I did but im not an expert. So its running OK right now but u can still tell that something is a little off. I DIDNT change the plug wires...that could be a problem. I didnt have the money at the time. The plugs are Bosch Platinum 2's. Also the same plug I thought I stripped when I took it out the first time it seemed to be alot cleaner than the rest....the plugs only have maybe 200 miles on them if that much. Any help would be appriciated.

Also this is off of the post subject.....but does anyone else have a problem with clinging coming from the transfer case? I have been told that it is probably the chain in side or something. I thought it was U-Joints and replaced them...didnt solve the problem...changed the rear end oil/grease(whatever) and that did nothing so I have pretty much traced it to inside the transfer case. I have had sooooooo many people tell me sooooo many different things I dont know what to think.

Thanks for your time,

Brandon
Old March 31st, 2007, 3:49 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Firing Problems??

Brandon,
My first thoughts are that you crossed some plugs wires. You may also have broken the end off one of the wires when you removed them. First check the firing order. If thats not the problem you could start the engine and remove and replace(with rubber handled pliers) one plug wire at a time to see which cylinder isn't firing. The one that doesn't make a difference is most likely the plug wire that is broken.
Good Luck, Dondobe
Old March 31st, 2007, 6:13 PM
CF Beginner

Well too me it seems to be impossible to cross the wires since each plug has its own coil right above the plug it goes to.....or can u cross them? lol....i may have broken the end off but i have done that already and i went through all of the wires and none of them made a difference. I may have a plug wire problem....so ill try to get new wires first then try to find the problem if that doesnt work
Old April 1st, 2007, 8:30 PM
CF Beginner

Yes you can cross them, check to make sure there right and allso check plug gap