Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

help with engine upgrading

Search this Thread

Old March 31st, 2008, 12:56 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default help with engine upgrading

well... ive been thinking real hard about things... an i have come up with my final assesment. with my 98 silverado that has 85,600 miles on it and is a 350 SB, i am going to do the following:

1. Exhaust
shortie headers
2 inch pipe from headers all the way to the end.
new single hi flo cat with dual in and dual out
glass packs
i will simply buy all this and go to an exhaust shop to have correct welds and bends with all new and stainless pipe

2. Engine
so far it has a KN cold air(yes i did notice a difference and love it)
new valvetrain*
cam*
heads*
race balancer(i want to make it look pretty and release some more power)
the parts with the * mean i need help on.

3. Drivetrain
limited slip* (or something because i hate one tire fire)

My goal is to keep it fuel injected and possibly keep the same intake manifold.
Can you help me locate cylinder heads that will use the stock manifold but make some extra power without breaking my piggy(im 18 and yeah and can anyone tell me what a good cam and valvetrain i should go with. since im re-doing the valvetrain i want to go to hydraulic lifter/cam and new valve covers since clearance and attractiveness comes into play there. and can you help with what is a good limited slip for a gm 10 bolt rear end that is either 28 or 30 spline. gears im unsure of at the moment... i need to de-code some codes to find that out. this is something im going to do so the engine i have now will be more reliable and with some free power in case a little grain of ricer wants to play ball...

this is all instead of going to the junkyard and getting a 350 block and making it powerful and fuel injected because that will cost a lot more and well... build em fast they wont last.

so... im making myself a list of things to buy so if you could help all comments are well appreciated. (oh yea... i wanna show that my truck is more than stock to my bro with his 79 bronco on 38's an his 460 BB) so... please help me so i can beat him... (i know hes got me beat with that eninge alone but still...)
Old March 31st, 2008, 8:26 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: help with engine upgrading

With that year of motor the superchip tuner does a noticable amount of power increase without braking your bank
Old March 31st, 2008, 1:18 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: help with engine upgrading

yea i was looking at those as well. superships has a really nice one that is really expandable. thanks