Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

HELP! My Driver Door will not open!

Search this Thread

Old June 21st, 2021 | 10:16 PM
CF Beginner

Default HELP! My Driver Door will not open!

2008 Chevy Silverado 1500 crew cab 4x4. Driver door refuses to open. Door locks still work, but door won't budge. Can't remove door panel, check fuses etc because the door is stuck shut. Don't know if the problem is with a fuse, door controls, door frame latch, switches, or anything since the door is shut and there is NO access to ANYTHING. Key fob and key still opens locks. Only driver window will come down. All other windows have had issues since we got the truck. Will disconnecting the battery help reset? Scared to even try it because it might cause all doors to lock and have no access at all. So tired of having to climb through the passenger side to get in or out. Any ideas/help will definitely be appreciated. Took to dealership and they can't even look at it yet until they fix the recalled passenger airbags! (Right now I need access to the steering wheel more than I need a passenger airbag!) Plus, was told if the door has to be completely replaced, it could cost $2,000! Not an option! Love my truck. Just need some help/advice🙂
Thanks
MMcDaniel
Old June 22nd, 2021 | 7:03 AM
CF Monarch

Welcome from Florida. You say the door does not open, is that from both the inside and outside? If so, it is probably from the latch mechanism and you will have to get the door off to repair it. A door panel is cheaper than $2000 for a new door! Doors are also cheaper from the junk yards.
Old June 22nd, 2021 | 1:40 PM
Super Moderator

take it to any shop...even a bodyshop...they can get the door open with only damage to the trim panel. anyone who said you need a new door frame for $2000 to fix this is a idiot