Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

06 suburban drivers door control problems

Search this Thread

Old January 3rd, 2015, 1:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 suburban drivers door control problems

Hello..I've searched the forums but haven't seen this issue come up.. I have a 2006 1500 suburban with Z71 package without fourwheel drive...
No controls on the drivers door work until you cut the ignition on with the door closed then they work... The chiltons manual hasn't helped with telling me which and where to find the switch..auto seat adjustment, door locks and such...thanks for any help. edited from previous post

Last edited by dillon1001; January 3rd, 2015 at 4:52 PM.
Old January 3rd, 2015, 7:52 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum...
If the door is open and the ignition is not on or in accessory mode, the buttons sans the lock/unlock should not work.
The retained accessory power will work if the key is off and none of the doors are opened, as soon as a door is opened the RAP is lost...
IF you are saying that even with the key on and the door open nothing works until its closed, I would look at the door lock assembly as that is how it knows if the door is opened or closed....

As for real manuals get the factory ones, or a subscription to All DataDIY, they will have all of the schematics...
Old January 4th, 2015, 7:46 AM
CF Beginner

Default Thanks

thats correct...nothing on the door will work even if ignition key is on until the door is closed..used to be able to push the auto seat positions without the key on and door open and the door locks did work without the key...Thanks for the info..
Old January 4th, 2015, 10:07 AM
Administrator

I still think its an issue with the door lock mechanism as your vehicle no longer has the door pin switch that older vehicles used to use for knowing the door was open, its all built into the door lock assembly....
That said you should also check all the fuses, you might try using a screw driver to put the door in closed locked position with the door open ( DON'T FORGET TO REOPEN IT BEFORE CLOSING!) to check the door switch and to eliminate a possible short in the wire harness out to the door... you might even be able to use the end of the screw driver to wiggle the latch around to see if it activates...
Old January 6th, 2015, 7:47 PM
CF Beginner

Default Thanks again

I'm dillons father..I'm the one actually working on this..lol...I did all the suggestions ..checked and ohmed the three switches that are on the mechanism..well..two switches and one actuator it seems...the door ajar switch is working..the one thing thats puzzling is the theft deterent switch..i don't get an ohms reading when door is opened or closed and when looking at the diagram i downloaded it appears that it should activate in either closed or open..not sure how the theft protection works tho..
when i open the door on the passenger side it does allow me to lock and unlock the doors with the door open without a key in the ignition but i can't see on the schematics i have where the power actually comes into it...going to pull the passenger door panel and try to trace the power coming in on that one and see if i can back track with the diagrams i have..thanks again and btw i did ohm the wires from the switch to the drivers door control assembly to be sure i had no breaks and they ohmed good
Old January 7th, 2015, 10:39 AM
Administrator

It might also be worth checking/reseating the door harness connection if you have not already....

EDIT: its possible the ignition switch could also be the issue... have you tried giving the switch a good wiggling with the keys in?
Attached Thumbnails 06 suburban drivers door control problems-capture.jpg