Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

High idle after cleaning EGR/IACV/TB/PCV

Search this Thread

Old January 2nd, 2011, 10:08 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High idle after cleaning EGR/IACV/TB/PCV

96 Chevy C1500 4.3

So I took off and cleaned my EGR and IACV with some carb cleaner, also sprayed some at the TB and wiped it down and finally I replaced the PCV. When I finished and started it up, the idle shot up to almost 3k. If you leave it running, it will drop down slightly, but still over 2k. Also, it is making a loud hissing sound from the TB or around it. All gaskets from the head up have been recently changed, but prior to these cleanings. So I don't believe it is a I'M or TB gasket.

I can't find a vacuum leak and EGR/PCV wouldn't raise an idle that high, I don't think. So TB/IACV? What else? Or how can I test them?

Last edited by wmiller1337; January 3rd, 2011 at 1:10 PM.
Old January 2nd, 2011, 10:22 PM
CF Junior Member

Oh, and the idle goes back to normal if shifted into gear. The high idle is only present in park and neutral..
Old January 3rd, 2011, 1:05 PM
CF Junior Member

After some research I am getting some conflicting info about the IACV. I am reading from some people that the pintle has to be adjusted before reinstalling, and others saying it does not matter the computer will relearn and adjust as needed. I moved the pintle quite abit when cleaning and am pretty sure it didn't go in the way it came out... And even though I don't have anything to compare it to, I was going to pull it out and adjust it slightly to see if it even makes a difference. Sadly I stripped out one of the bolts (Doh!) when doing this, so now I have to remove that somehow before proceeding...

Could that be the cause of the high idle? I find it crazy the the engine even gets enough air to hit 3k+ with the TB butterfly closed and only the idle hole open...

Oh, and yes I did try pulled the negative terminal for 15 mins, no change. And if I unplug the IACV, the idle slowly goes up. If that helps any...
Old January 3rd, 2011, 11:24 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default high idle

Here you go

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/g...e-toolbox.html
Old January 4th, 2011, 6:40 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by OLD WRENCH
Good post, I am bookmarking that.. yet that is just a list of performance mods basically A short how-to on cleaning the IACV but it doesn't say anything a high idle.

Although I didn't jumper mine, I just pulled it out as far as I could, are you saying that is the problem?
Old January 4th, 2011, 10:20 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default high idle

But it tells you how to put the pintle back correctly which could deffinitly affect the idle.
Old January 4th, 2011, 12:16 PM
CF Junior Member

Ok gotcha, so the pintle position, when reinstalling, can cause an idle that high. Well I will try that procedure and see what happens.
Old January 9th, 2011, 10:01 PM
CF Junior Member

If anyone was watching this with a similar issue, or just for the archives, here was my problem:

I took the TB off completely to examine things closely aswell as a more thorough cleaning. Well, with the TB in my hands, I noticed that the IACV was not bolted on straight, it was slightly crooked and the pintle was pushing into the TB wall (leaving the port almost completely open). So I unbolted the IACV, cleaned the TB thoroughly, and reinstalled the IACV back in. It's a snug fit and it takes a little wiggling before it sits flush. It is almost impossible to tell if it's flush on the truck, so be careful if you do not remove the TB.... Reinstalled, and the truck is idling normally again.

Edit: As far as I can tell, pintle position upon reinstall really doesn't matter. I bolted it on, turned the key on for 20 seconds, off for 10, then started it and the idle was dead on. (Even though I still didn't adjust the pintle while it was out.)

Last edited by wmiller1337; January 9th, 2011 at 10:03 PM.