Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

High mileage 5.3L

Search this Thread

Old December 12th, 2010, 8:07 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd rather the government stay out of it altogether. The free market is better able to determine what cars are "clunkers" and which are not.

Every time Washington does something to 'fix' a problem, they end up with a situation like squeezing a balloon. It ends up bulging out or messed up somewhere else.
Old December 13th, 2010, 12:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

5.3L is yesterdays 327 chevy. Other than some improvements over time that block has been around for many years.
Old December 13th, 2010, 6:01 PM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by jvc350
5.3L is yesterdays 327 chevy. Other than some improvements over time that block has been around for many years.

The 'new' 5.3L engine may equate to 327 cubic inches, but it is probably not the same as the old 283/305/307/327/350/400 "small block" V8 we all know and love. My grandpa had a 327 in his 1969 Impala, but it is not the same as a 5.3L in a modern truck. Perhaps they changed it just a bit over the past five decades - while retaining the good, ruggedness that it was known for around the world.

The 5.3L V8 is proving to be reliable - which is good because I have one in my Silverado - and retains the OHV design of the old small block; while having the advanced coil-on-plug ignition and improved heads that (supposedly) allow it breathe better.

This is kind of like how Ford has a new 5.0L "modular" OHC engine (probably based on the 4.6L Triton V8) for the 2011 Mustang GT, but it has nothing in common with the "old" pushrod 5.0L/302 engine from the '80s and early '90s. People will see the "5.0" badge on the fender and likely assume it is the old 302 under the hood.

All in all, it is great to see the positive words about the 5.3L; especially since I am still a Ford guy at heart. I am beginning to appreciate my Chebby.

Old December 13th, 2010, 7:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerX
I m sorry, I understood what you meant, but I lost my internet connection before I could flesh out my point. What I meant to say was that C4C didnt matter at all because there isnt a shortage now of used cars. Those cars, all 700,000, didnt affect the general pool of used cars available nationwide. Clearly we can go to Ebay, AutoTrader, or Craigslist among others to see some good vehicles along with many, many crapboxes. Those cars that were destroyed were from all classes and makers and still there is a worldwide glut of used cars. I think what affects the ability of the poor or younger, newer driver to get a good car is more likely low income and weak credit. The fact that the C4C autos never saw a car lot or a parts recycler didnt affect anything. If we wanted to see the availability decrease in the slightest, the government should have offered the program for longer than 1 month up to maybe a year up to 18 months. And the guidelines should have given preference for fuel efficiency and content from bio-degradable or recycled parts, but that didnt happen.
I'm with this dude ^^^.

C4C did not create a shortage of affordable cars. I worked at a Dodge dealership while this was going on, and 90% of the cars we pulled in shouldn't even be on the road (most of them weren't actually, they were cars that had huge issues and got put in the garage). We had 1 van that had a blown tranny. The guy towed it there, dropped it off, and barely drove it a few feet before dieing completely. But that's all he had to do to qualify. Our sales for that month were outrageous compared to the few months before that. It DID make us money, and I am sure it did alot for the economy. It is very possible that is saved my job. The company that owned us had just shut down a dealership a month before, and we were next on the chopping block...
Old December 13th, 2010, 8:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JK23112

I'd rather the government stay out of it altogether. The free market is better able to determine what cars are "clunkers" and which are not.

Every time Washington does something to 'fix' a problem, they end up with a situation like squeezing a balloon. It ends up bulging out or messed up somewhere else.
I m not sure there is such a thing as a "free market". Everything is prone to manipulation.

I think the point of the C4C was not for government to regulate car ownership but to provide a direct stimulus and a rational incentive to relinquish old heaps for a new modern technobox. I thought the age limits were short-sighted and the time frame curt. Additionally, I thought that adding premiums to the fuel efficiency of the new vehicle in relation to the old vehicle was an idiotic idea. Many guys here in NY would have loved to get a $4K credit towards the purchase of a new work van but were disqualified because of the fuel efficiency. Many guys buy their trucks from the phone company, the electric utility, from the city, etc., when they are starting their businesses.

If the program were longer it could have also enhanced the collector car market by removing cars that WOULD NEVER be desirable. There will never be a market for the Chevy Citation, Ford Tempo, Dodge Turismo, Mitsubishi Colt, Toyota Van, Nissan Stanza B510 Station wagon, nope!
Old December 14th, 2010, 6:38 PM
CF Senior Member

Ford Tempo? LOL! I forgot about those cars long ago.

One can claim that the C4C helped or hurt the used car market; no doubt about that. However, I still believe such things are (or should be) outside the scope, power and duty of the federal government. Seems to be for every government action, there is some sort of reaction elsewhere that is often not very good for the rest of us.
Old December 15th, 2010, 11:09 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C4c

I dont know of any study that proves folks bought fuel effecient vehicles. There are areas that they just arent practical. I am looking out the window at a snow drift that is about 4 ft. deep, bring on your Prius. Another point, if this program was so succesful why is the unemployment rate still climbing? Can anyone name a govt. run program that isnt broke? If we dont get our heads out of our rears and back the govt. off we are going to lose our Republic. (getting down from soapbox.)
Old December 15th, 2010, 4:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Defense Department isnt broke.

But I agree a guy who runs a transportation company cant do anything better than a 15 passenger Express/Savana. No Honda FIT or Nissan Juke is that practical.