Cobalt This sporty compact was faced with the difficult job of replacing the popular Cavalier, but whether the base model, or the supercharged SS is chosen, is has made for a great replacement.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out CobaltSS.net

Decreased mileage in high altitude

Search this Thread

Old January 7th, 2008, 10:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decreased mileage in high altitude

I just moved from Pennsylvania to Colorado Springs (an altitude increase of about 5,000 feet)and have noticed that the mileage on my 2007 Cobalt has decreased by at least 2mpg and the estimated range on a full fuel tank has decreased by about 100 miles. Is there some sort of adjustment that can be made to the engine to reflect being in a high altitude? Nothing else has changed on the car either. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks

Dave
Old January 7th, 2008, 4:58 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Decreased mileage in high altitude

Maybe you're going up and down more hills than you were before?
Old January 19th, 2008, 9:29 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

at higher altitudes, air pressure and air density goes down. long story short, your motor has to work a lttle bit harder to compensate for the loss of pressure and density.

Think of somoene who climbs mountains, eventually they climb so high, that it gets hard to breath, and eventually they need oxygen just to breath. same goes for your car, though not to that extreme, but enough that you notice a change in your MPG
Old January 29th, 2008, 5:59 PM
CF Beginner

the air/fuel mixture uses more fuel to compensate for the air lost because of the altitude your at it cant get as much air as it did
Old January 29th, 2008, 6:43 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Definately agree ^^^ The MAF sensor will tell the computer that the air pressure is thinner, so in turn, the computerit will raise the ratio and increase the idling RPMs to compensate.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 6:32 AM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: shawnvw

at higher altitudes, air pressure and air density goes down. long story short, your motor has to work a lttle bit harder to compensate for the loss of pressure and density.

Think of somoene who climbs mountains, eventually they climb so high, that it gets hard to breath, and eventually they need oxygen just to breath. same goes for your car, though not to that extreme, but enough that you notice a change in your MPG
Learn something new everyday.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 12:09 AM
CF Beginner

higher you go less oxygen/air, so the car has to work harder than if it was at sea level
Old February 3rd, 2008, 12:12 AM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: shawnvw

yeah like that, harder for it to breath in the air, just like if you were on mountain.
Old February 12th, 2008, 3:45 PM
CF Junior Member

I also live in the springs and drive an 01 cavalier, I think our bombed fuel economy is partially due to the thin air and also I would acredit it to the bumpy/hilly roads here in town. Not only that, being winter time i tend to let my car warm up atleast a few mins before i start driving which wastes a little bit of gas too.