Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Improper break in of a 2011 Silverado?

Search this Thread

Old December 4th, 2011, 2:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Improper break in of a 2011 Silverado?

Hey guys, just wanted your opinion on this. I bought a new 2011 Silverado about two weeks ago. It is the 5.3l with AFM, crew cab, and Z71. It had 19 miles when i bought it. I did all of the normal breaking in step, like varying speeds, not going over 3500 rpm for the first 500 miles. Last night i was getting on a freeway at about 40 mph. I gave it about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle and before I knew it I was at 4500 rpm and 75 mph. Now at this point i had a little over 800 miles on it. This was the first time i brought the rpm up this high. Was it too early?

I have heard that GM does a factory break in and the dealer said NOTHING about the break in steps, nor does the manual.

What are you thoughts on this? I have a really bad feeling i should have not revved the motor this high....
Old December 4th, 2011, 2:55 PM
CF Active Member

It'll be fine.
Old December 4th, 2011, 3:04 PM
CF Beginner

Im From Lubbock Originally, Just a BTW. So you don't think there would be any damage to the motor? IE cylinder walls, piston rings? How can i tell if there was anything that had happened?
Old December 4th, 2011, 3:13 PM
CF Active Member

If you wanted to check cylinder walls and piston rings you can do a compression check on each cylinder. I'm pretty sure that each engine is broken in at the factory prior to ever being installed in the vehicle though.
Old December 4th, 2011, 3:17 PM
CF Beginner

Well I don't have the tools to do that unfortunately, i guess i will just keep an eye on oil consumption, I find it hard to believe that this one instance would make any difference, I believe if it was this sensitive, GM would do a little more to warn their customers. Besides, I would think they would do some type of break in at the factory.
Old December 4th, 2011, 5:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you knew what it went through between the end of the assembly line and the dealership lot, you'd have a heart attack. The guys almost look like they are intentionally abusing the new vehicles to see if anything falls out.
Old December 4th, 2011, 5:34 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the info....whats your source? lol just curious.
Old December 4th, 2011, 11:18 PM
CF Active Member

Big deal, an occasional spin at 70 mph isn't going to have any effect on a break in. You could even argue that it is good for the breakin period to give the engine more variety.

The only theory I've heard on breaking in is that the varying speeds keep the pistons moving to varying postions at the top of their stroke. I've always thought this was a pretty bogus reason and most likely has no proof.

I could see why you might not want to run an engine all out till you run it through it's paces to be sure things are fitted right and create a little bit of a wear pattern on the moving parts so they mate better, but I have never heard of an actual test or any proof that this is necessary.
Old December 5th, 2011, 2:18 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

dusfermc,

I understand your concern, I don't think you have anything to worry about. According to the owner's manual, Silverado's do not need elaborate break-in periods. Suggestions for long run performance are:

-Keep the vehicle speed at 88 km/h (55 mph) or less for the first 805 km (500 miles).
-Do not drive at any one constant speed, fast or slow, for the first 805 km (500 miles). Do not make full-throttle starts. Avoid downshifting to brake or slow the vehicle.
-Avoid making hard stops for the first 322 km (200 miles) or so. During this time the new brake linings are not yet broken in. Hard stops with new linings can mean premature wear and earlier replacement. Follow this breaking-in guideline every time you get new brake linings.
-Do not tow a trailer during break-in.
-Following breakin, engine speed and load can be gradually increased.

For you reference, this information is available on page 9-31 of your owners manual. I digital copy is available at: http://www.chevrolet.com/assets/pdf/...1silverado.pdf

If you are still concerned, I would suggest stopping by your local dealer for an inspection. If you have any further questions, concerns and/or comments, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old December 5th, 2011, 9:59 PM
CF Beginner

I purchased a new 2011 Silverado LT crew 4x4 in Feb 2011, which has been used for military duty prior to my discharge, fire response, and other such work. I definately do not abuse my truck... quite the opposite... but I never practiced any sort of break-in technique and just crossed 15k miles without a hicccup. You'll be fine.

Quick Reply: Improper break in of a 2011 Silverado?