Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

K&N Air Intake Install ???

Search this Thread

Old August 29th, 2009 | 12:27 PM
CF Beginner

Default K&N Air Intake Install ???

Installed easily, directions included...no worries...until

Turned enigne over. Now I have a Service Engine light on my dash illuminated.

Went back, check all electrical hookups. Checked to ensure mass air filter mounted in correct position. Checked air sensor hook up. No love.

Any input?
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->____________

Last edited by Mike Sigmond; August 29th, 2009 at 1:04 PM. Reason: removed link in post
Old August 29th, 2009 | 6:58 PM
CF Monarch

You may need to let the PCM relearn the intake settings.
It probably thinks your MAF is malfunctioning because you are getting much more air by it than before.
Unhook the battery(s) for about 30 minutes or so, then hook them back up and see if that works.
Old August 29th, 2009 | 8:28 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Either you left a sensor unplugged or you put too much oil on the filter and the MAF sensor has oil on it now. If installed properly a K&N filter will not turn on the service engine soon.
Old August 29th, 2009 | 8:35 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
Either you left a sensor unplugged or you put too much oil on the filter and the MAF sensor has oil on it now. If installed properly a K&N filter will not turn on the service engine soon.
I agree, was it the Service Engine light or the Check Engine light? I know new intake installs sometimes trigger the Check Engine light as Brent explained.
Old August 30th, 2009 | 9:15 AM
CF Active Member

ive had my service engine light on for SO long, i dont even remember when it first came on. but i baby my truck so to me that light is nothing. could be because i put headers on, or when i had a vavle job done. in my eyes, a SEL is a fancy light put in so that you'll take your vehicle to a dealer so they can charge you $600 to turn a screw. no offense to those of you who work for dealerships.
Old August 30th, 2009 | 10:41 AM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

I know the CE light is very sensitive, but I believe it does point to minor adjustments & repairs needed, if not , it usually clears itself., mainly when systems are just a little out of the range of thier normal operation. Sevice Engine light to me means you got a critical problem that needs to be addressed ASAP.

Last edited by Mike Sigmond; August 30th, 2009 at 10:43 AM.
Old August 30th, 2009 | 3:22 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry Mike,

I've got to hang with Speedy650 on this one. GM hooked up all the OBD II monitors to 1 idiot light. Am I **THE ONLY** person who sees a problem with that? When you think about it, GM could have spent the money they spent on all this worthless monitoring crap on building a better quality engine that's easier to maintenance. Instead, they made them difficult to fix, and installed all this ooga-booga garbage that only THEY can decipher. I anxiously await the day when I can disconnect ALL of GM proprietary BULLSH*T and take my chances running off standard monitoring gauges.

And I, for one, don't care WHO's offended by that statement.

Carefully check the MAF plug to be sure it's plugged in the proper direction and tightly. If this is good, disconnect the battery for ten minutes. IF the light comes back up, let the CPM deal with it for a couple of tanks of gas, and it should go away. If you started doing hole-shots right after the retrofit, the CPM is probably trying to figure out where all the extra air is coming from...

Last edited by therewolf; August 30th, 2009 at 3:35 PM.
Old August 31st, 2009 | 10:46 AM
CF Junior Member

Default K&N Air Intake Install ???

The OBD II (On Board Diagnostic) code puller is for CHECK ENGINE lights only, not SERVICE ENGINE SOON lights, from what I have been told. It could be coincidental that some form of scheduled service would be triggered alongside your installation of your K&N filter. If the filter is new, it does not require charging (adding oil to it), it comes wrapped up in plastic, ready to install right out of the box. I had some knucklehead at O'Reilleys try to sell me the recharge kit that at the time of purchasing a K&N filter, and advised me to apply the oil prior to installation. What a moron, I walked out without buying it, no sense contributing to the store that hired this numbskull.
Old August 31st, 2009 | 10:58 AM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

No need to be sorry, its just an open discussion, were all entitled to our opinion & thoughts, you guys have some valid points.
Old August 31st, 2009 | 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

Checking to see if the holes in the MAF sensor have gotten clogged with oil,hmmm, seems I recall double checking to see if the filter was oiled when I installed my K&N CAI. The place I bought my CAI sold me a recharge kit when I purchased it, so I'm guessing re-oiling the filter before it's installed happens occasionally...