Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Looking for some advice

Search this Thread

Old August 26th, 2011, 11:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for some advice

I am interested in buying a chevy silverado 2500 HD. I just joined this website to some advise from all that can help. Here are my needs. I need a 2500 for payload in addition to towing capabilities. I'm interested in the 6.0L (don't have the money for a diesel) Seems to be a great all around engine. I would like the newer body style, but not a must. I am really just looking for a more recent year chevy with low miles that is going to last for a while. I would like 4x4 just for the few times that I think I would need it. (any comments on that?) I would also like a long bed for hauling bikes, golf carts ect. (any thoughts on long bed vs regular too? If I can afford it I would like the allison trany on the newer gas engines( don't know much about this but am wondering if it matters or not. I'm looking to eventually tow almost any size travel trailer as well as have a golf cart in the bed with a family of 4 in the cab. Would love a diesel but don't really have the money (want something with low miles that will last)
ANY COMMENTS ON ALL OF THIS WILL HELP GREATLY. THANK YOU.
Old August 27th, 2011, 9:29 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. If you do a lot of heavy hauling, spend the extra cash and get a diesel (Duramax). Try to get a pre-2008 model so that it won't have the DPF. The engine will run better and use less fuel than one that is equipped with a DPF.

2. The 6.0L is a good engine and still provides adequate power for most normal driving. My 1/2 ton Silverado has the smaller 5.3L and hauls *** like nobody's business. The 2500 should also have a 4.11:1 axle, which will give you more pulling power - but might drag down your highway fuel economy a bit.

3. From what I know, the Allison transmission is only available with the Duramax diesel and not on the gasser. I might be wrong, but have never seen a gasser that had one. Perhaps a six-speed manual might be a good choice if you can find one.

4. If you can find one, get a truck with the "crew cab" (four real doors). My Silverado has the extended cab (suicide doors), which are fine but not quite as useful. I wanted a long bed, though, and you can't get the 6 1/2 foot bed with a crew cab in the 1500. They stick you with the 5 ft bed instead. Since you are seeking a 2500, that won't be an issue for you......since you can get the long bed with the crew cab. Heck, I think you can even get an 8ft bed with the big cab on the heavy duty models.

5. Whatever you decide, have a qualified mechanic examine the truck, check all of the fluids, belts, hoses, etc., etc. Get a CARFAX or AutoChek report as well. No reasonable buyer will begrudge you that.

Good luck with it! I have always been a "Ford guy" with trucks and was reluctant when I found my used 2004 Silverado 1500, but am fairly happy with it and plan to keep it for another 95,000 miles!
Old August 27th, 2011, 8:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Ok sounds good, thanks for your help. I have actually seen a couple of the newer gassers (2010 or 2011) advertised with the allison trany. Not sure if they know what they are talking about though. Thanks again.