Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

looking for a tonnea cover(leather kind)

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2012, 12:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for a tonnea cover(leather kind)

hey guys im new to this site and to trucks. i came over from the mustang world and now im juming into the truck world with both feet. anyways i need to buy a tonneau cover before it starts snowing here in CT. im a volunteer firefighter and keep my gear in the bed of my truck, so i need the cover to be weather proof. sorry if this is posted in the wrong section mods feel free to move if needed. thanks everyone!
Old October 8th, 2012, 12:40 PM
CF Senior Member

Welcome to the site man, I would say the best place to buy a bed cover would prob be ebay because you will more than likely get a better price. Only thing i would say would be to get a fiberglass one, the leather ones are durable, but with the weight of snow and all that stuff I don't think it will last many seasons. Besides that I think ebay will be your best bet on a tonnea cover.
Old October 8th, 2012, 5:55 PM
Former Sponsor

volpe804,

The most water resistant covers will be a fiberglass or poly lid or the vinyls like you're considering. As fishin' mentioned, you probably won't be pleased with the performance of vinyl in a snowy area.

The more expensive retractables are quite good when it comes to being waterproof, but I've had folks tell me that they leak too and others tell me they don't. Some have told me that they can freeze up in winter when liquid water freezes in the rails, others say that this doesn't happen to them. I recommend lots of research before pulling the trigger.

If there's any chance that you'll consider our cover, the following may help you.

Peragon Truck Bed Cover Forum Reviews

Best wishes with your decision. If I can help you any further, feel free to call me. 877-473-7246 ext 71.
Old October 8th, 2012, 7:49 PM
CF Active Member

I have a leather cover on my short bed and have yet to have a problem with the snow or rain. not once has it ever leaked. check on ebay for the cheapest price. good luck
Old October 9th, 2012, 5:39 AM
CF Active Member

Extang makes a very good cover. I had one with what they used to call a J channel - no snaps - and it didn't leak. Any snow sitting on top of the cover will quickly vibrate off as you drive down the road. Also able to open and close the tailgate without having to undo the cover. Good bargain for what it is. That said-- if you undo these covers in a cold climate you will have a very difficult time refastening it. Also they do not lock.
Old October 9th, 2012, 10:02 AM
CF Junior Member

i had a roll-up cover and it worked great. only problem was in the winter it was very hard to unroll, and reconnect it. when i got my new truck (09 silverado) i bought a one-piece poly unit from undercover, it's watertight, locks and you can walk on it. comes off in minutes. (it takes two people) and they suppley you with hooks to hang-it up when you take it off. it lifts easly with one hand with the help of pistons, also bought a extend a bed unit, which works great when you flip it into the bed. cuts off 1/3 of the bed, giving you a somewhat of a trunk, seeing as i have a reg.cab. both cost $900.00. the combo of them both works great for me, there are many to pick from, do you homework. good luck
Old October 9th, 2012, 10:56 AM
CF Beginner

$900 is way out of my price range. im looking to spend under $400. what about this one guys?
1988-2007 Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra 6.5ft S/B TRI-FOLD Tonneau Bed Cover Black | eBay
Old October 9th, 2012, 3:53 PM
CF Beginner

I have the extang trifold cover for mine and love it no problems in winter (up in the poconos pa lot of snow) but got mine for 100 bucks from Craigslist and it was brand new
Old October 9th, 2012, 7:06 PM
CF Active Member

By the pictures in your link it appears to be almost flat. In one pic it shows a bow but it seems really low. The Extang I had had adjustable bows which was nice. If you like what you see and feel comfortable in your purchase then by all means get that one. Even if you only get a few years out of it your not out a lot of money. For $400 or so I would do a little Internet surfin for a used fiberglass lid, these and caps are all over the place for sale somewhat cheap.
Old October 9th, 2012, 7:25 PM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had one of those tri-fold vinyl covers that I bought off ebay on my 2003 Silverado for a few years. It was great. Completely water proof and very easy to remove and reinstall as needed. Of course being in Alabama we never got as much snow as you would see up north.

Quick Reply: looking for a tonnea cover(leather kind)