Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Lube Question???

Search this Thread

Old April 18th, 2010, 4:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lube Question???

Alright, I'm bout to be moving to Texas. I'm leaving mid-May, and will change the oil a few days before I leave, check the trans all that good normal stuff. But, with the truck hauling roughly 4-5,000LBS, I want to grease all teh zerts i can find. What kind of grease should I use??? On my ol' ford I used whtever i had, but I care about this truck a little more than that one.

And anymore moving tips y'all have would be appreciated. I know to check the lights and the hubs on the U-haul trailer anytime I stop.
Old April 19th, 2010, 3:41 AM
CF Senior Member

best thing that comes to mind on the grease, use something a little more heavy. Do not fill to where grease pops out the boot. when you do that, you just broke the seal on the boot, creating a great pathway for moisture to creep into the inside area and rust. the way i was taught at school, was you poke the boot, if it is emptyish, squirt the grease in like 2 times, just enough until it starts to inflate, then that's it. I like using the heavier grease. oh, and while your down there, if the bushings on the sway bar aren't bad, loosen the bolts that hold em up, and squirt some grease in there too, so while your on the road those bushings don't start to squeak
Old April 19th, 2010, 8:17 AM
CF Veteran

could probably use atf oil on your bushings.
Old April 19th, 2010, 3:00 PM
CF Veteran

Thanks. Guess if I can find Havoline grease I'll use that. That's what we used on the tractors and discs back home. I know how to grease 'em up, just don't what grease I should use. Being a Crew Chief has me a bit wary because some grease that we use can counteract each other if they ever met.
Old April 19th, 2010, 5:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Good luck and God speed.

Oh, yeah, when you're hauling a load, be careful of trusting the cruise control. It will only work well on flat, level roads. So if you have to deal with a lot of hills or grades, trust your foot instead.
Old April 19th, 2010, 6:04 PM
CF Veteran

Yep, I know it. I'll be on I-10 most the time, all I gotta worry bout is the bridge over the Mississippi. LOL. I love the Tow/Haul button in that case. Actually works.