Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Manual Trans., Clutch Broke

Search this Thread

Old November 18th, 2010, 3:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual Trans., Clutch Broke

Hey Guys,

I just ran into a major problem with my 2005 Silverado - I got into the truck, depressed the clutch to start the engine, and about half way down, something gave way and the clutch pedal no longer activates the clutch.

I only have a basic understanding of how the clutch system is set up - involving the brake master cylinder & another mechanism in the clutch/pressure plate assembly.

If you guys could give me some pointers as to where to look, could possibly be something within the cab itself that's broken? I'd really appreciate any help you could give.

Thanks,
Allan
Old November 18th, 2010, 9:50 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Welcome to the forum...
I'd start by checking the linkage under the dash to see if anything has simply come loose on the clutch peddle assembly
Old November 20th, 2010, 8:35 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks Jeff,

After looking, I've actually found that the piece responsible for holding the clutch master cylinder in place is broken. On the firewall, the clutch master cylinder actually attaches to a piece that sticks out of the firewall, and locks in place by turning the CMS 45 degrees, aligning square sections of the CMS with a square cutout in the retaining piece, the returning the CMS to a vertical position. On my truck, the top of the retaining piece that's meant to form the top of the square has broken & is allowing the top of the CMS to pop out when the pedal is depressed.

It looks like it's going to be a paid to fix, as the piece doesn't seem to come out easily. Any advice?

Thanks again for helping,
Allan

Last edited by allanlegree; November 20th, 2010 at 9:02 AM.
Old November 21st, 2010, 11:12 AM
CF Beginner

Hey Guys,

Further into the process, I've run in to what seems like the simplest problem, but I can't seem to get a lock on how to get around this:

In order to replace broken piece, I actually have to replace the entire bracket/assembly that retains both the clutch master cylinder, as well as the clutch pedal and linkage. Chevy, in all their wisdom, made it so that the piece was fit in there just so, requiring that I remove the entire dash assembly to be able to remove it. In order to complete the job, I've got to remove the steering wheel, but I've hit a major problem - my steering wheel isn't set up in a way that lends itself to removal.

In my manual, I see that there are two holes on either side of the column where I should thread my bolts to remove the steering wheel, but on my steering wheel there's only one bolt-hole! Anyone dealt with this before?

Thanks,
Allan
Old November 21st, 2010, 4:24 PM
CF Beginner

Hey Guys,

I know that I've been getting through everything here and I've been answering the questions as I go, but I wanted to pass one last thing by you to see if anyone knows what I'm looking at.

I've got everything installed, but I'm having trouble getting all the wiring back in the correct place. In specific, there's one connector, right behind where the gauge cluster goes, that I can't seem to place. I know it was connected to something before, but I can't seem to find an appropriate connection for it. If anyone can give me a clue, I'm attaching a picture.

Thanks,
Allan