Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Mobil 1 Synthetic or Royal purple Synthetic, which is better?

Search this Thread

Old June 3rd, 2011, 5:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't seen any mpg improvement on my 5.3 and I don't burn any oil and it is changed within the 10K recommended mileage Amsoil sells usually around 7K to 8K miles. If you can't change your oil in time I like the thought of whats in there will still provide proper protection. You do see a difference in synthetics in extreme weather conditions such as northern MN where I am from when it may be -20 outside.
Old June 3rd, 2011, 6:26 PM
Rez
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
neither.
Amsoil.
Have personal experience from driving 1200 miles a week for a year.
RP is better than M1, but Amsoil outperforms both.
Read The Motor Oil Bible.
Have you had the M1 and the AMS tested? I use the 0-40 M1 and I had it analyzed against the AMS 5-40 in my engine. The M1 was as good or better. I don't know about other grades of either oil, the other grades of M1 may not be as good.
Old June 3rd, 2011, 8:01 PM
CF Beginner

Rez - I think it comes down to personnel choice. I save money by only changing the oil two to three times per year if that. I like Amsoil and I like how Amsoil is a family run business but then again I am biased since their headquarters is right over the bridge in WI and they provide jobs and recognition to our area. My brother uses Mobil 1 and has done over 350K of driving on a Honda Civic and the the same amount of miles on a Subaru when he lived in the DC area 20 years ago. He swears by it. Go to the manufacturers website and read about how they test their product against the competition. Try to match what tests are done so you can compare the oil that you prefer. Most of it is rocket science to me but I see the benefits of Amsoil products in my ATV and snowblower when it is bitterly cold out.
Old June 4th, 2011, 8:32 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Mobil-1, Valvoline, Castrol (Syntec) and even Wal-Mart "SuperTech" 5w30 synthetic oil...whatever is on sale or available.....and have gotten good usage out of all of them. Mobil-1 is what I use most of the time, though. Costco will put the six-quart cases on sale every few months and Wal-Mart has good prices on their five-quart jugs.

I change my oil & filter every 3,000 to 3,500 miles in both of my vehicles - even though I could probably go MUCH LONGER if I wanted to. I'm overly safe when it comes to stuff like that, and it is still much cheaper to 'do it yourself' with synthetic than to pay a shop to use dino oil.
Old June 4th, 2011, 11:35 AM
CF Junior Member

Actually from switching from regular oil to synthetic, my mpg has increased from 14.5 to 16.5-17mpg, thats the only thing that changed, so im glad i switched to fully synthetic
Old June 4th, 2011, 5:59 PM
Rez
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Outlander 2004
Rez - I think it comes down to personnel choice. I save money by only changing the oil two to three times per year if that. I like Amsoil and I like how Amsoil is a family run business but then again I am biased since their headquarters is right over the bridge in WI and they provide jobs and recognition to our area. My brother uses Mobil 1 and has done over 350K of driving on a Honda Civic and the the same amount of miles on a Subaru when he lived in the DC area 20 years ago. He swears by it. Go to the manufacturers website and read about how they test their product against the competition. Try to match what tests are done so you can compare the oil that you prefer. Most of it is rocket science to me but I see the benefits of Amsoil products in my ATV and snowblower when it is bitterly cold out.
Agreed, its all about personal preference and what has worked in the past.

When I tried AMS, I had the existing M1 oil in my engine tested. The AMS dealer told me the M1 was crap and The AMS was so much better. Needless to say, he was pretty shocked when the lab results came back on the M1. After 5k miles through the brutal Houston summer, it's TBN was still 6.42, additives were stable, and wear metals were all low - basically new condition oil.

They are both good oils and it probably depends more on driving habits, climate, engine dynamics, etc. than brand.
Old June 5th, 2011, 5:47 PM
CF Beginner

A good salesman would not call his direct competition crap and upset a customer that way. I did notice that Amsoil has marketed longer life oils for the last 6 years or so and Mobil One is just started marketing longer life oils in the last couple of months. It is probably easier for a company like Amsoil to make changes quicker then a large company like Mobil One and Amsoil customers are more comfortable supporting that change.
Old July 31st, 2011, 11:28 AM
CF Beginner

I use amsoil on my 2002 1500hd , rear diff , transmission , and I replaced engine oil once a year with an average of 10 000 to 13 000 miles per years with wix filter recommended by amsoil , and so far so good , don't even have the cold clicking noise on cold start . went this week from bay area to reno and average 15,3 mpg on the way there up hill .
Old July 31st, 2011, 3:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I recently changed to Amsoil. I do a complete oil and filter change, followed

by a filter and top-off every 6K miles, 3 times, then, at 24K, another complete

oil and filter change. Couldn't be happier.

Mobil1 and RP both have avid followers, but I can't really say from personal

experience which is better...
Old August 1st, 2011, 4:08 AM
CF Beginner

I think Royal purple Synthetic is better, i'm using it and really like :x

Last edited by kunkun238_hn; September 27th, 2011 at 4:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 Synthetic or Royal purple Synthetic, which is better?