Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

My truck keeps sputtering out...

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2014, 5:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation My truck keeps sputtering out...

Please help me!!! I don't know what is wrong, but my truck won't stay on, it keeps stalling. I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado, 4.8 L. V-8. I got this truck about a year ago and it's ran great except for a hiccup with the transmission. After repairing that, I haven't had any issues at all until last night. I took a video of the RPM gauge so you can see what it is doing. My buddy told me that it might be the AIC Valve, but I don't want to buy it if that's not what it is. I'm a pretty handy guy and I've done a ton of work on older, pre-2000 trucks, but this is my first post-2000 truck that I've owned. I've never experienced this with any of my older trucks so I'm pretty stumped here. Can anyone help me out? Here's a link to the video I shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K0G...ature=youtu.be
Old May 9th, 2014, 7:32 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suspect the fuel pump and/or the fuel regulator located on the drivers side fuel rail.

Very common for pumps to fail around this age,but I would run the codes to see why your CEL is on first.That may indicate where to start.

In any case not anything major seems wrong by the sound of your engine.
Old May 9th, 2014, 8:25 PM
CF Beginner

Wow, really? I was hoping it wasn't the pump because I know those can be a bit pricy. Do you think there's a chance that it's the Idle Air Control valve? I tried hooking it up to my buddy's OBD code reader and it wouldn't synch with my truck. I don't know if there's something wrong with his reader or if there's an issue with the OBD system on my truck. Ever heard of a bad computer causing something like this? Thanks for the input, I just want to be 100% sure before I drop $300 on a pump...
Old May 10th, 2014, 5:37 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the codes read before you do anything...why not take advantage of that technology.Auto Zone etc.do it for free....

That will generally tell you if a sensor is going bad,but not necessarily the fuel pump.A weak or on the verge of dieing fuel pump acts as your video shows,thus the suggestion.
Old May 10th, 2014, 6:21 PM
CF Beginner

That makes a lot of sense, I really do need to get the codes read. Autozone doesn't do that anymore, but I found a guy who said he'll do it for me tomorrow. I've read a lot of things that point to the IAC motor (valve) such as the crashing idle when I turn the steering wheel, turn on the radio, lights etc. A friend suggested that I try Seafoam, but that won't work because I have a Vortec. I'm considering cleaning the throttle body, I guess that couldn't hurt anything. What do you think?
Old June 16th, 2014, 5:56 PM
CF Beginner

My truck is doing the same thing. I have changed the Throttle sensor,Gas pedal,mass sensor wires,plugs and the pvc valve and still have the same problem