Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 29th, 2015, 3:14 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Need help! '04 Silverado fog lights!

Search this Thread

Old March 23rd, 2010, 11:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help! '04 Silverado fog lights!

Hello, I'm new to this forum so please, bear with me. I've an '04 Silverado LS, and my valance deflector's taken a beating and it wants to fall off. I've rigged it to stay on while I order a new one. I can't find a damn deflector with JUST the tow hook slots open, it's either none or the fogs AND the hooks and I don't want to order OEM, it's pricey. I got quoted 400 dollars just for the damn thing. So, first question: Does anyone have one they'd sell with just the hook slot open? My truck didn't come with fogs so is that an option? I was wondering if there was a way to wire fogs onto the truck? This is my first truck, so I don't know crap.
Thanks to anyone that helps me out, I'll be checking this daily!
Old March 24th, 2010, 12:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check lmctrucks.com they have some stuff hopefully it will help. as far as wiring fogs up i'd say wire a switch up yourself. pull power from a reliable power source preferably somewhere in the cab. run a ground ,then a power supply to the lights. check my garage. i have a pic of a switch i wired up for my amp. the switch is on the dash panel below the cluster to the left of the steering wheel. dont forget an inline fuse. are you putting in an hid kit or just normal halogen bulbs. oh and welcome to the forum. there are alot of helpful guys around here.
Old March 24th, 2010, 12:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

fog light kits usually come with pretty good instructions and diagrams for wiring. any way you go tho, you will want to run a relay with them, or ya might be changing bulbs a little more often.
Old March 24th, 2010, 12:16 PM
CF Junior Member

www.henry@levantx.com
I bought mine for $21
Henry is a nice guy and Im sure he can find you one alot cheaper than $400
Old March 24th, 2010, 5:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I put foglights on my 04.

When I did it, I got a switch upgrade which matched my dash better than the switch in the kit.(@30$, i think, plus the switch, some extra wire, and connectors.)

Used a dremel with a rotozip bit to make the cutouts on the valance, right at the foglight depressions. As stated previously, you can follow the fairly thorough directions in the kit.

Or you can do what I did, and add a small fuseblock behind the main fuseblock in the engine compartment. If you think you'll be needing more power at another time for something else, that is.

Auxiliary power, HUAHH! HUAHH!
Old March 25th, 2010, 8:41 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the GM fog light kit on my 07 classic.
Just under $200 from local dealer, everything included incl air dam with cutouts, and all plug and play.
About 1 hr to install.
( Just my 2c )
Old March 25th, 2010, 4:02 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks guys, you all helped a ton. I ended up actually ordering the valance cover that has both slots open and a fog light kit. Like I posted before, this is my first truck, let alone first vehicle, haha. I'm 18 and I don't have knowledge of wiring whatsoever. But, I got a pretty good idea as to how to do it, if not, I'll get someone to do it. But thanks! Also, I'm RWD but my uncle has a 4WD donor truck he'd be willing to give me, same year and everything. I love my truck, so could I just take the drivetrain from the donor truck and convert my truck to 4WD?
Old March 25th, 2010, 5:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

BTW, welcome to the Chevy Forums!

Try wiring that foglight set yourself. Once you've done it, you'll have a much better working knowledge of the truck wiring, and be less at the mercy of others.

Why not keep your 2WD truck 2WD, and just fix up the "donor" as your 4WD truck? It would probably be a herd cheaper and easier...
Old May 14th, 2010, 2:25 PM
CF Junior Member

05 Chevy Silverado 1500 x4x. I bought some after market fog lights. I have installed them but I want to hook them up the button on instrument panel for the foglights. When I press the button a symbol comes on like the lights are on.

The question I have is, how can I tap into the wiring on the instrument panel for the fog lights. The fog light I bought have a switch but I want to use the one already installed on the truck.
Thanks all!