Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Need Help with 350 Vortec

Search this Thread

Old June 21st, 2011, 3:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help with 350 Vortec

Hey guys new to this site. I'm a duramax diesel guy but my dad has a 1997 silverado with a 350 vortec I posted it in my sig below. He's been having trouble getting it to run. At first he would have to pour gas in the throttle body to get it to run other wise it would just spin the engine and not fire. As it sits we are scratching ours heads trying to figure out what the problem could be. He talked to a few knowledgable local mechanics and they said the spider could be bad which deals with aiding in the fuel injected into the cyclinders. He got a rebuild kit for the spider assembly from napa and rebuilt it seems like everything is fine but still have the same problem. Fuel system is fine got pressure all the way to the spider assembly. Injectors were cleaned and installed properly after the spider reuild. Talked to another good friend who is a jam up mechanic and he said it could be the cam sensor. Any help would be greatly appreciated as to aid in getting this truck running again. If any questions to help with diagnosing are need I'll do my best to expalin what the truck was and is doing.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 9:41 PM
CF Beginner

I know this thread is being viewed any help would be greatly appricated thanks in advance
Old June 22nd, 2011, 10:22 PM
CF Beginner

Default Similar problem

Hey Robby, the problem you're having with your dad's '97 sounds a lot like the trouble I have with my '96. I considered replacing the cam sensor in mine too, but was hoping for some "targeted" advice before I go ahead with "replacement therapy". Let us know what eventually works for you, as I may try that too.
Thanks, Greg.
Old June 23rd, 2011, 7:56 PM
CF Beginner

Greg, My dad tried the cam sensor buttoned everything back up and still nothing what else do you think would need to be replaced dont really want to just throw parts at it would really like to get it fixed ya know lol.
Old June 23rd, 2011, 9:52 PM
CF Beginner

You got fuel than it's an ignition issue, pull parts and do the ohm testing, see haynes or shop manual.
Old June 24th, 2011, 6:32 AM
CF Senior Member

what is your fuel pressure? and do you have spark if the crank sensor fails you will not have any spark they some problems with the earlier one mine included

Sean

97 4x4 burb
Old July 5th, 2011, 7:10 PM
CF Beginner

Got fuel been pressure tested to roughly 45psi and was claimed to be in spec for proper operation. Everything is fine in the spark plug department just need to figure out what else the culprit could be I hate grimlins lol.
Old July 5th, 2011, 7:52 PM
CF Senior Member

My book says 60 -65psi fuel pressure if you have the old style spider it takes 45 ish psi to open the poppet by the time the 45psi your measuring makes it out to the poppets its alot less i had one of my poppets stick closed i just upgraded to the new style unit got it on amazon for $215 and never looked back,i tested the old stuck poppet and it took 80psi to open it were as the the other ones on that spider took about 50psi to open,if its not the regulator it could be a bad fuel pump

Sean

97 4x4 burb
Old July 6th, 2011, 2:19 PM
CF Junior Member

could use a noid light at injector harness to test if injectors are actually getting pulse to fire
Old July 13th, 2011, 4:21 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 1Ton-K1500
could use a noid light at injector harness to test if injectors are actually getting pulse to fire

Already been done he's tried that. He says he doesn't have enough pump pressure was tested to 50 psi so where to now?