Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

New 2014 Silverado LTZ Z71

Search this Thread

Old April 4th, 2014, 7:44 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bed step install was a major PIA. Had to order a riv-nut installation tool ($17), can of GM care care with PTE or something arouther. Instructions were wrong. Kit said it included 4 bolts but it had 5 and you need all of them. Said you needed a 19 MM wrench. Should have said 14 MM. And the 17/32" drill bit is a slice over 1/2". Guess what - most drills only come with 3/8 and 1/2" chucks. Had to find a 17/32" bit with a reduced spline/shaft to fit my drill.
It also neglected to mention you need a 1/2 angle drill for the second riv-nut hole. Fortunately I already own the drill.
But now it looks nice and works great.

Found the 9 removable tie down holes in the bed on another uncovered truck - 3 on each side and 3 in the front. Guess what? They only sell the tie downs in a set of 4 for $100. But there are 9 holes! Pretty sneaky if you ask me. So one of them holes will go without. Jeeze

Next - I just had the oil changed at 1100 miles even though it didn't need it till 5000 miles. But there was a transmission line recall and so I thought I'd just get er done early at a more local dealer. It appears that whoever at the original dealer put the running boards on my brand new very expensive truck snapped off one of the four hardened bolts holding it on the driver side. The second one back. Right where I step to get my fat a** in and out of the truck every time. If the front one snaps too the board will be slapping/flexing bad. My best guess is they will need a skilled mech with a high speed angle drill, maybe a pointed grinder/dremmel to get in the hole and make a good surface to drill into, a set of (carbide?) drill bits and good quality easy outs to try to get it out with out making it worse. Should probably pull and replace the others too if they can. (with a torque wrench this time!).
Everybody makes mistakes but they should own up to it. We'll soon see.

Last edited by mad max; April 5th, 2014 at 10:22 AM.
Old May 4th, 2014, 9:26 AM
CF Junior Member

Update - All fixed with the broken bolt problem - the dealer stepped up and I'm happy camper!
Old May 19th, 2014, 7:48 AM
CF Beginner

@ Mad MAx

You and I have the very same truck.... you mentioned a bed rug. I'm not sure what your intentions are with your truck; looks versus usage. I had my bed sprayed with LineX. My 2014 is my third Silverado and they have all been sprayed with LineX...I "highly" recommend it. It looks just great as-is and you can select any colour you want. Very durable and will not chip or peel off.

Just my two cents here. Cheers!
Old May 19th, 2014, 8:55 AM
CF Junior Member

Thanks, but my bed rug is very durable and will not chip or peel off either. It's very soft and my paint under it looks just like new. Cost under $600 and it's easily removable / replaceable in 5 minutes ;-)