Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

New battery dead after 8 weeks

Search this Thread

Old October 25th, 2007, 11:38 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New battery dead after 8 weeks

Hi all,

First off. It's a 2000 Silverado, 4.8l, 5speed, 4x4, regular cab. Bought it in April.
The originalbattery was always losing its charge, so I finally got around to changing it in August. It's not a daily runner (I use it on the weekends mostly) and the battery just won't keep a charge. It's now at the point that if I don't drive it after 3 days, I have to boost it.

I've put an amp meter on it and I get a drain of .7A to 1.5A. (2.5A when I forget to close the door - umm...I closed itto make sure the dome and courtesy lights were off).

I'm not 100% sure, but if I read the manual correctly, .7A should be OK.
I started doing the usual unplug one fuse at a time until I found the faulty circuit.
Seems that when I pull the radio fuse (15A) it goes down to about .5A.
So I thought it was the radio. Removed the radio, put the fuse back in and the drain went back up to 1.5A. (Also noticed that none of the warning lamps in the instrument panelwork when that fuse was out).
Finally got tired of working with the door closedso Iremoved the courtesy lights relay.
Saw the amp meter and it was down to .7A or so.

I actually have the GM SPO eSI DVD but I can't make heads or tails as to what runs off that fuse.

I'm sorry about the long post but I could really use some help.
Any and all ideas on what it could be? Door sensors, light fixtures, etc.
All suggestions will be appreciated and tried. Thanks in advance
Old January 6th, 2008, 9:39 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: New battery dead after 8 weeks

I thought I would write to see if you had by any chance fixed this problem. I have the same problem with a 2004. Removing the 30 amp amplifier fuse brought mine down to 1.8 amps. Then I removed the radio 15 amp fuse and got it down to .7 amps. However, I don`t have any manuls as of yet to tell me where it all goes.
Old January 8th, 2008, 3:31 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: New battery dead after 8 weeks

I took my 07 Silverado 2WD WT in for some work today and the service writer said there was a service bulletin out to prevent battery rundown. I believe this is the correct reference.
07033B FEB 07 Campaign - BCM Reprogramming for Battery Drain

I haven't had any problems yet, but when it's cold out the truck battery does sound tired. Bear in mind I live in the northern IL and park the truck outside and I know I sound tired on a cold morning too. The dealer did the mod, so I'll be interested to hear what the start up sounds like when the temps drop again. Good luck.