Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

New Owner - Doing Full Service

Search this Thread

Old August 5th, 2011, 9:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner - Doing Full Service

Hey everyone, thanks for the help here in the past. I just purchased a 2007 Silverado 1500 LT with 45,000 miles! It is in great shape! I had the option to get it GM certified for $2k more, but since I'm mechanically inclined I decided I'd do the service myself. This weekend I want to:

Change Oil w/ Mobile 1 and Napa Gold
Change Diff Fluids w/ Synthetic
Grease Driveshaft
Flush Cooling System
Spark Plugs
Air Filter
Seafoam in Gas, Crankcase before oil change, and induction.

Is there anything I'm missing from that? Also, what would you guys recommend as far as fluids or basic maintenance for this truck? Are there any areas I'm missing? Btw it has the 4.8 V8 engine.

I'm thinking of not touching the tranny, should I do a filter or just leave it? It shifts perfectly.

Last edited by chevybotwie15; August 5th, 2011 at 9:57 PM.
Old August 6th, 2011, 7:43 PM
CF Beginner

Bump.

Just changed the oil with Mobile 1 5w30 and a Napa Gold filter today. Ran half a can of sea foam in the crank first, idled for about 20 minutes then drained the oil. With the drain plug out, i poured the remaining seafoam through the crankcase and watched brown oily stuff drain out. I have to say, between that and running the synthetic oil, I feel like I'm driving with a much cleaner engine!

Rain interrupted the rest of the service. Any input would be great.
Old August 7th, 2011, 9:31 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would do the trans while you are at it. Its very cheap insurance. Past expierence has told me 60K is the max. you should run the fluid.

Last edited by OLD WRENCH; August 7th, 2011 at 9:36 AM.
Old August 7th, 2011, 10:05 AM
CF Beginner

Do you guys recommend just dropping the pan, doing the filter and replacing the fluid lost, or a transmission flush? I've never herd great things about a tranny flush.
Old August 7th, 2011, 1:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

honestly i'd do a full tranny flush on it. I didn't hear good things about it either so i just did a filter and fluid changed from the pan. Did that twice then road around for a few hundred miles and then changed all the fluid. 15qts with a can of seafoam transmission tune to clean it real good. It shifts much much much much better now.

Oh and my truck is at 195k and hadn't had any tranny work done since it was at 75k
Old August 7th, 2011, 7:27 PM
CF Beginner

Good advice! I'm going to talk to the dealer about getting a tranny flush and filter. ( I work there).

Just got the service done today, we changed the air filter, rear diff oil with valvoline synpower 75w90, seafoamed the gastank, seafoam in crankcase then changed with mobil 1 5w30 and a napa gold filter. We also replaced all 8 spark plugs with AC Delco Iridium (OEM) gapped to .060.

About the plugs, we pulled the factory originals (I think, they were the same AC delco iridiums) out, and noticed that each was at around .030 or .020 for gap. After we replaced these plugs with the new gapped plugs, the truck is NOTICABLY quicker, and accelerates much faster. I thought it was all in my head, but my dad took it for a test drive and made the same comment.

At our Chevy dealership the other day, I drove a truck thats identical to this one, its a 2011 LT w/ a 4.8 engine. It had 7 miles on it, and it didn't have near the pull that ours just did after we put in the properly gapped plugs. Is it possible that GM isn't gapping these plugs right at the factory?

Has anyone else encountered this?
Old August 12th, 2013, 4:43 PM
CF Junior Member

I would guess after 48K miles that the gap in the plugs would open up a bit. Plus I think a motor that is broken in runs stronger then a tight new one.

How hard was it to take the plugs out? I was looking at it the other day and wondered if you just twist and pull the shields out? Never worked on a chevy with this set up.
There is now way I'm going to keep the plugs in there 100K...I would be afraid they would be frozen in there.