Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

new truck

Search this Thread

Old April 22nd, 2010, 4:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new truck

New to the Cheby trucks. Haven't owned one in 20 years. I have FORD A plan available and have been a died in the wool Ford Guy, but after the screwing I took from Ford on my 6.0 diesel I won't buy another Ford Truck.

Anyway, I have an 07 Sliverado, Dark blue with black interior, 5.3 4x4 LT with most bells & whisltes, garage door opener, remote start, power seats, power rear slider, fuel delivery system, sitting in my driveway. 46,000 on the clock. Needs two rear tires. Dealer gave it to me for the day & night. Put 100 miles on it and really like it. Probably gonna write a check in the morning but wanted to check in here first & listen to any advice or feedback from you guys that have them.

I know I gave plenty of advise on the Diesel Stop Forums about the 6.0.
I'm older & cheaper, tired of paying the extra quarter per gallon for diesel. Not towing the big loads I used to. I just decided to down size..

So let me know what you think. Laz
Old April 22nd, 2010, 7:10 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New To Chevy

From one 'Ford' guy to another, I say "Welcome!"

I bought a (used) 2004 Silverado LS 1500 [extended cab 2wd] back in February - with 74,XXX miles on it; and now have 77,300 or so. Mine also has the 5.3L V8 and many of the comfort options (cruise, pw, pdl, power mirrors, etc.) - but no leather seats, navigation system or any of those doodads.

I have driven four different Mustang GT coupes throughout the years, had a '73 Mercury Montego (same as Ford Torino), a 1990 Ford Econoline van and even a 1985 Ford Ranger pickup. When it came to trucks, I always leaned towards the Blue Oval. I used to work for FedEx and we had dozens of Ford vans with 300k miles on them that still ran great.

My GM cars included a 1964 Cadillac Sedan deVille & a pair of Chevettes (1978 & 1980) -- to Oldsmobile Ninety-Eights ('78 and '86 models)!!

I was searching for a nice, late-model used F-150 before I stumbled upon my Silverado. All I could find in the Ford section were '05 to '07 trucks that cost an arm and a leg - or '01 & '02 models with 120,000+ miles on them. I did find a beautiful green '00 F-Series 4x4 with 100k, but it was not an extended cab. I test-drove an '02 Silverado (non-LS work truck interior, manual windows, etc.) and then the '04 I ended up buying.

My Ford pals have given me endless ribbing about my "Chebby" and are surprised I would get one.....but it is what it is. I would have loved to find a good Powerstroke (even though I don't have any need for one) - since I drive big rigs and love compression-ignition engines and all of the torque they produce. However, they cost an arm and a leg and I would rather have a 7.3L (less troublesome) than the 6.0L - but nice ones are few and far between since the last one rolled off the line back in early 2003. The 2008 to 2010 6.4L Powerstrokes are strong runners, but that diesel particulate filter (DPF) costs a 15 to 20 percent fuel economy penalty.

BTW, the Ford diesel engines (Powerstroke) are sourced from International/Navistar and are not genuine Ford. However, the new 2011 Ford "Scorpion" 6.7L Powerstroke is built in-house by Ford. That thing is supposed to be a monster - roughly 400 hp and 725 lbs/feet of torque right out of the showroom!

Anyway, I bet the sticker price on a loaded F-250 diesel will be north of $45,000 - way beyond ridiculous unless you really need such a truck.

But I digress. Welcome to the Silverado Forum. People here are pretty cool and you can learn a lot from some of the "old timers" who frequent this forum.

BTW, there is a lot of good stuff on the Powerstroke Forum as well. ( http://www.powerstroke.org )

P.S. You need Flowmasters!!
Old April 22nd, 2010, 9:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi lazlo,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

If the truck feels right for you, tell your bank you want to finance it, and see what THEY think it's worth.

Hell, a Fiat's an improvement over a ford.

Last edited by therewolf; April 22nd, 2010 at 9:58 PM.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 8:02 AM
CF Beginner

Drove it all day yesterday, put about 125 miles on it & loved the truck. Got the checkbook out for the trip to the dealer this moring, then found oil on the concrete in my garage where the truck had been parked. Bottom of the motor is wet with oil... A disappointment to say the least. They'll get it back this morning & we'll see if they can address the problem..
Old April 23rd, 2010, 8:04 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not leaking oil - it's just sweating power!
Old April 24th, 2010, 1:45 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by JK23112
It's not leaking oil - it's just sweating power!
But I don't like it when that sweat spots up my garage floor...

Talked to the dealer today. Rear main is leaking on the truck. It's still under warranty. They are apparently gonna take the trans out to make the repair. They will repair the other minor issues and give it back to me to put a couple hundred more miles on before I buy it. So I should have it back thursday.
Old April 24th, 2010, 3:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty awesome their repairing it. Welcome to the Forum. I have the New body 07 2500HD. Haven't had any real issues, had a little oil consumption around 15-19k, but not anymore. I'm sure you'll be happy with your Chevy.
Old April 26th, 2010, 7:44 PM
CF Beginner

Dealer wasn't quick enough... Saturday night, on Craigs List, I found a loaded 07 4x4 Extended cab, one owner, 28000 miles for a grand less than the dealer wanted for the auction truck with the leaky rear seal.. Bought it and brought it home today. Put about 125 miles on it bringing it home.. think I'm gonna like this truck
Old April 26th, 2010, 7:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well Awesoem. Glad your happy.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 9:28 AM
CF Beginner

Over 400 miles on the truck... It's like new... not a scratch on it. Love the GPS that got added to the deal... Only complaint thus far, aside from watching the realtime fuel consumption, is that it has the black cloth seats and they seem to attract every piece of lint that comes within ten feet of the material.

Installed the portable sirius radio. That would have been a lot easier in the Ford, but the dealer I was trying to buy a truck from downloaded the instructions from GM about how to take the dash apart & made life a lot easier.. So I'm almost a Chebby Convert

Now, where do I get a nice toolbox for acros the bed and where do I get the fender flares?

Quick Reply: new truck