Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

NO fuel to TBI , after extended storage of vehicle .

Search this Thread

Old December 29th, 2010, 12:29 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NO fuel to TBI , after extended storage of vehicle .

I have a 1992 K1500 Blazer and a 1994 K1500 Z71 suffering from the same strange affliction .
Both trucks have the same basic drive train , 350 , ( 5.7 L ) TBI engines , both auto transmission , etc .
Both trucks sat in a garage for about a year during a deployment . Both trucks ran fine when parked .
Now , after having been stored , neither truck will start due to lack of fuel to the TBI .
Engines WILL start , after pouring a small amount of gasoline into throttle body , however engine will die as soon as that fuel is gone .
I had checked Fuel Pump fuse on firewall , Fuel Pump Relay , ALL fuse block fuses . All are good .
I removed the gas cap to listen for pump while cranking engine , not certain if I can hear pump while cranking , however , CAN hear fuel returning to tank after cranking engine . This leads me to believe that pump is functioning . Have NOT checked fuel delivery pressures , as they are hard to get a guage on the TBI fuel lines , due to where they connect to the rear of engine . I plan on checking for fuel delivery at fuel filter tomorrow .
Any advice is appreciated in this strange problem .
Old December 29th, 2010, 8:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if the fuse is good and the relay closes when you turn the key then the pump is no good.

could be restricted fuel filters...or contaminated fuel(maybe your ex-girlfriend or some Talibans snuck into your garage to sabotage your trucks and destroy the American Way?) Sugar in the tank?

How much fuel did you leave in each truck? Hmmm...crawl under there and disconnect the harness to the tank and run a test light there. Turn the ignition switch and look for the light to light up for 3 seconds. That tells you power is going through the relay to the pump. If you have a spare battery(or a 9v battery) slide it under there and apply power directly to the sending unit in the tank using 2 spare wires and listen for the fuel pump whir. If it whirs then the pump works. Then connect the harness back to the sending unit and disconnect the filter, put a bottle of jar in line. Turn the key and see if the pump spits fuel through the line past the filter and if not, then check for fuel to the filter. If so, filter is bad, if not, pump is bad.

and you dont have to open the line to test fuel pressure. there should be a Schrader valve in the fuel line somewhere where you could screw on a gauge.
Old December 31st, 2010, 4:44 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NO FUEL to TBI , after extended storage of vehicle .

There was about 1/4 tank in each truck .
I changed filter in Blazer , was somewhat obstructed compared to the new one . Have not yet been able to check it out and see if Blazer will run yet , with new filter .
Haven`t messed with the truck at all yet . I figure if I can figure one out then the other one MUST have the same problem . ( Yeah , I know , wishful thinking ) .