Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

oil change

Search this Thread

Old November 26th, 2008, 7:48 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil change

I just took my truck in for its first oil change (7K miles), i had just got back from up north sunday night and didnt unload my sled due to im going back up after thanksgiving so if it stays in the bed for a while beats breaking my back loading and unloading it most to all the weight was in the bed the tail end of the track and snowflap were over the tail gate, the service guy said they wouldn't do it because the sled was in it, so i told them the truck said to change the oil they told me i still got 500 miles of good oil left but the light came on while on the way north about 50 miles into a 350 mile trip one way so i went to the seld dealer and had them do me a favor and pull it out. when the guy was changing the oil in my truck he pulled my hitch out to close the bay door i asked why they couldn't do it the seld in the truck the mech. said it could've fallen off the hoist my response was what do you guys do with work trucks that have a box on the back? his answer was use a different hoist! i was shocked for two reasons one his and the service guys answers and the fact when i got home i noticed the mech. left my hitch on the bench and didn't put back in the truck. all this and they could've used a different hoist. this is why i'm prolly going to be doing all the maintenance on it after all the free stuff is used up.
Old November 26th, 2008, 4:24 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: oil change

tell you the truth i had a similiar problem..so i vowed to doin it myself.....ive come to the conclusion that they dont call them stealerships for nothin!!!

capt
Old November 26th, 2008, 4:33 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

huh. well im not cool enough to have a brand spanking new vehicle but... i do all my own work and learn it so i can do it rather than pay someone unless it comes to speaker install... i dont have those sexy body panel tools and yea
but its worth it to do it yourself. its easy. and if you have to get a jack, say its 70 dollars, plus 5 dollar oil pickup pan, that will pay for itself in a year ive figured out instead of doin an oilchange at a place and paying 30 or more... i change mine at 2000 miles... so yea. easy math
Old November 27th, 2008, 3:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I have to agree with the guys who would rather cut off their thumbs than let ANYBODY work on their truck, if circumstances allow. A professional(now there's a scary word) may have better tools and/or more knowledge and experience than you, but nobody cares about your truck but **Y**O**U**!!
Old November 27th, 2008, 3:46 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and to tell you the truth. ive dome my fair share on oil. the differences in oil and the additives and what not because i work at a jiffy lube and i got interested. if your using synthetic oil in your truck, yea they are tellin you the truth. if you arent. then they told you you still got life left to get you out of their shop. this one guy at my work does that just so we dont have to deal with teh stupid skid plates and what not on some cars. i tell the customer dont listen to him ill change it it will just take longer. the guy hates when i do that but come on. i got a vehicle. i know when it needs something and when people come in and ask for a service, im going to help. since working at this place im definately not going to other places and payin a wise guy to scuff my precious paint and get it all nasty. when i work on someones car, i dont get in unless im clean and got gloves on. believe me id rather pony up big dollars and get tools to do my own work rather than pay a guy i dont know. i even have a hard time lettin friends help me because they are carelss and last time, i was taking a bolt off and the socket went flying off the impact gun and almost hit my just painted drivers side. after that i bought fender covers and soon a truck cover. lol.
Old November 28th, 2008, 10:13 AM
CF Junior Member

this is why I drive an old 95, i dont have to be carefull around it...

and thanks to a hail storm a few months ago, and hitting a deer a week after that, i dont have to be carefull around my 06 cobalt anymore either []
Old November 28th, 2008, 9:49 PM
CF Active Member

sounds like to me some one was just being lazy and just didnt want to do it im lazy too i dont change my oil on my 2000 but im freinds with the guys at a local shop so i dont have to worry about them but my 89 is my first child so i do any thing and everything to it no one touches my baby
Old December 6th, 2008, 2:00 AM
CF Active Member

I work at a dealership as a technician. Usually if we have a truck or something come in with something in the back of it or it just needs a oil change we just use the alighnment rack for a oil change because it's a lot easier. We don't want someone to have to drive all the way back home and back to the dealership just for a oild chage and because they had something in the back of their vehicle. Not all dealerships are bad. That's a misconception. We don't exactly get along with all of the dealerships in our area because of the way they are. It isn't that hard to put a truck on a hoist. I do it with my Silverado at work all the time.