Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Potential 2000 1500 owner - Go for it or run like hell?

Search this Thread

Old September 17th, 2008, 10:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential 2000 1500 owner - Go for it or run like hell?

Oh guys and gals, I'm new to the forum. My name is Jon and I'm and Army boy from Iowa. I've had terriable luck with vehicles in the past. Cracked block, thousands in worn suspensios and steering components, transmission missing gears, etc. I like doing work myself, even the big stuff (it's a learning experience) but I'm at a point in my life where I can't afford to replace high dollar items. As of now I have $3300 cash from the last car I sold last Friday (trans was on its way out). I've been looking for a decent pickup to get me to the hunting, fishing and camping spots, especially in Iowa winters as well as something to get me to school, work and drill. So this is what I have found.

2000 Chevy 1500 Extended Cab 4x4 4.8 V8 with 190,000 miles. I carfaxed it and it's a two owner vehicle with a clean report. I was told it was used as a construction vehicle for a majority of it's life. The most recent owner has had it for about 9 months and put on about 25K miles without any issues. However, since he has owned it the ABS light has been on. The rocker pannels are rusted pretty badly, and there are rust spots above the wheel wells. There is a small rip in one of the seats. I don't mind the cosmetic issues as I need it for its functionality rather than the looks.

Now my main question is, am I buying myself into some serious repairs? I was considering a 97 Dodge with 170K but turned it down as they frequently have transmission issues. Do you think it's worth $3500 in its current state? Should I take it or should I run like hell?

I appreciate you all taking the time to read and respond!

-Jonathon Bell

Name:  13c1gd140ZZZZZZZZZ89g3bd89275ae2817.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  7.0 KB

2000 CHEVY EXT CAB 4X4 1500 4.8 V8 IT HAS 190000 MILES RUNS AND DRIVES FINE FIRST $3500 WOULD LIKE TO GET RID OF BYE THURS THIS IS GOOD IF YOUR LOOKING FOR A CHEAP RELIABLE TRUCK,PLOW,WORKOR JUST TO HAUL THE KIDS AROUND. THANK YOU FOR LOOKING RYAN!

Old September 18th, 2008, 12:54 PM
CF Veteran

Default RE: Potential 2000 1500 owner - Go for it or run like hell?

sound's like you might be getting in to deep ! milage and engine wise, it might start getting hungry .
Old September 18th, 2008, 9:51 PM
CF Beginner

personally, i would consider the truck. it has plenty of miles, but those motors with maintence and care i believe are rock solid. check if it has the 4L60-E,if it does, it is alright but weak, now if it has the 4l80-e tranny, that is much better(rock solid).the 4.8,and the tranny either 60 or 80 i wouldn't worry about.their good for over 250,000 miles and above trustme,me and my dad have owned4.3,4.8,5.0,5.7,7.4, the 235cu.in is still kicking strong.the thing i would worry about is the condition of the transfer case and, front diff.look for leaks,any unusual noise when engaging 4 wheel or any trouble engaging, or disengaging.this is where i think you would start with problems.minor problems like cv joints, maybe a hub, to an actuator to seals.check suspension parts front and rear. see what will need replacing.eventhough the motor might sound rock solid youhave to check for blow by, or any shavings in the motor oil atoperating temp. i am sure it was used to haul and tow being a work truck, that will cut the life of thetranny by half.i suggestyou check these areas and drive the truck hard for a testt drive.if it feels strong, it probably is and should be.the truck is around $2000 under its blue book value. if i were you, and if i liked the truck, i would definitly buy it. try and take the price lower, as much as you can, with the extra money you could get maintenance done, like tranny fluid,diff fluid, injector clean. she will run like new.
Old September 18th, 2008, 10:46 PM
CF Beginner

Run like hell. Sounds like a lot of money to me. Even if it does go for 250,000 miles you only have 60,000 miles left. I would go to a dealer and get a good used truck with some kind of warranty. Just my opinion,( some people say I don't know what I'm talking about) Anyway good luck and thanks for your service in the military.
Old September 18th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The price just seems a little high considering the age, prior usage, mileage, and condition. Remember the market is flooded with trucks now because people are sh!tten kittens over gas mileage. If you don't see many trucks around you, try a large city area somewhere close. I'd jog to a better deal, myself.
Old September 24th, 2008, 4:00 PM
CF Beginner

I would personally avoid any vehicle that has been used as a service vehicle. People usually tend to run them hard because they simply drive them, they don't own them or maintain them or have to worry about them working properly 5 years down the road. Also, buying something with that many miles usually is never that good of an idea. Something with that many miles may absolutely nickle and ime you to death in small repairs. You should be able to find another truck easily right now because of the way gas prices currently are. Everyone is downsizing and these full size trucks are going for next to nothing at some places. Best of luck to you!