Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Is this the proper camshaft?

Search this Thread

Old September 3rd, 2014, 9:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Is this the proper camshaft?

I am replacing the camshaft on my 07 Silverado 5.3 LMG (vin is 2GCEC130X71597705) with active fuel management. After researching I concluded that the stock replacement camshaft for my truck was gm part # 12625436. After receiving this part, however, there is a slight difference than the camshaft I removed from my truck. On the middle bearing journal, there is an oil delivery channel present on the new cam but not on the original one. In the front of the cam, around the main bolt, there are two small oil ports present on the new one as well but not on the original one. I assume this allows oil to flow between the timing chain housing and the block. My question is, based on the part number and description, is this the proper camshaft?

I purchased the replacement cam from a reputable online gm parts discount store but am wondering if I ordered the wrong part number or if an incorrect cam was sent to me. I purchased my truck used with 80k miles on it so there is also the possibility that the cam was swapped out previously. Or perhaps gm simply updated the stock camshaft. Either way, any support would be greatly appreciated as I am afraid to stick this new camshaft in there without being 100% sure it is the correct fit!

Thanks!
Charlie
Attached Thumbnails Is this the proper camshaft?-20140903_190735.jpg   Is this the proper camshaft?-20140903_190752.jpg  
Old September 4th, 2014, 8:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have no pulled a newer cam out, so I can't really help there. But I would contact a local dealer and see if they have a part number for your truck specific cam. If yours isn't right, then they can give you the correct part number, would also give them the part number for the cam you ordered see what can you really have
Old September 4th, 2014, 9:03 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the response....yeah I plan on checking with the local dealer today. I'm just hoping someone on here has dealt with the same engine/cam.
Old September 4th, 2014, 12:00 PM
CF Beginner

Someone at the dealership was able to find a technical bulletin that describes the camshaft as being modified to include the above mentioned oil ports. And they confirmed my part number. It looks like I have the correct one. Hopefully this will help anyone else in the future who may run into the same situation.
Old March 13th, 2017, 7:13 PM
CF Beginner

Default Is this the proper camshaft?12625436?

Originally Posted by SilveradoChuck
Someone at the dealership was able to find a technical bulletin that describes the camshaft as being modified to include the above mentioned oil ports. And they confirmed my part number. It looks like I have the correct one. Hopefully this will help anyone else in the future who may run into the same situation.
Is this the proper camshaft?12625436?
Old March 13th, 2017, 7:14 PM
CF Beginner

Default Is this the proper camshaft?12625436?

Is this the proper camshaft?12625436?