Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Quality of GM/ Chevy Trucks

Search this Thread

Old November 6th, 2013, 9:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Quality of GM/ Chevy Trucks

Hi All
I have been loyal to GM/Chevy all my life my 1988 Chevy truck never had all of the problems as my 2002 Chevy truck this year alone I put close to $4000,00 replaced all brake lines ,front hubs with sensor abs, gas line, power steering pump, idler pulley and a bunch of maint items, also the rusted out rear bumper. My 1988 never had any of these problems, only maint items. I love my trucks well cared for never abused maint done by chevy until I could not afford there outrageous part cost and poor customer service, My friend has a garage and he is doing the work for a fraction of the labor cost. My next truck I don't know if I will buy another GM/Chevy truck or big 3 , by that time who knows where GM/Chevy QC will be. When GM made there own parts they had control over quality, now they don't. Big difference now its all bout $$, make customers pay big $$ than rob your kids piggy bank just to keep your Chevy on the road a few years later. Also I have 88K on my Chevy like I said well cared for but underneath rusted and falling apart. Aside from GM why not buy from Ford,ram,toyota they all last the same there buying all there bumpers from the same place all rusting out after 4 yrs and by 9 yrs replacement. Why Buy GM when there all the same sure better fit but underneath your replacing parts by year 8/9 never had to this with my 88, I wished I kept the old girl, my 02 Is one foot in the grave yard and one sliding into it. The writing is on the wall the days of like a rock are gone, unless GM wakes up and change there ways. I don't think GM/Chevy really care. It shows in there longevity of there trucks all In the junk yard. Yep I still own a Chevy am allot poorer now than 10 months ago Thank You GM/Chevy. If all of us wrote and used social media to voice our dislike and QC problems and write letter Maybe GM will listen and Remember the Customer matters to our lively hood and our future. Maybe Just Maybe if we al would get on the wagon and do our part to tell GM build the truck of ages were our father built quality trucks and cars that lasted in time not just for a few years.
Old November 6th, 2013, 9:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

good rant.

any 11 year old vehicle is gonna be rusted. You live in the rust belt. Ever rustproof it? It can't be stopped, only slowed down.

Tacoma's frames are rusting out so bad Toyota is forced to replace the frame and in some cases buying the truck back.

imo if you don't want to deal with rust you must buy something no older that 6 years old.

I just bought and 04 car from a rust free climate. It will need $2000 to fix everything and do all the missed maintenance. I expect that, its old.
Old November 7th, 2013, 4:07 PM
CF Beginner

Unhappy

You are missing the point is compared to a 1988 Chevy truck my 2002 is falling apart because the parts are not made the same s they where in 1988 which this truck is still on the road with all of the parts I listed above. Lets face it trucks are made cheaper period, both of my trucks are well cared for but the 02 is falling apart. On rust proofing the manual says rust proofing is not advised as it will void warranty. both truck are in the same area both driven with care, but the 1988 is more truck than my 2002 will ever be.
Old November 7th, 2013, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by pat pennstate
On rust proofing the manual says rust proofing is not advised as it will void warranty.
can't say I EVER read or seen that before, in any service manual, for any brand. What page in the service manual did you read that?
every dealer sells rustproofing.

in some respects the old stuff is ok

Last edited by tech2; November 7th, 2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old November 11th, 2013, 8:13 PM
CF Beginner

in my warranty booklet states come from factory with corrosion control/rust proofing, anyway the parts years ago were made better. Oh well new bumper due in this week.
Old January 12th, 2014, 11:42 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Page 19 of the Chevy limited warranty and owner assistance information book . Both my 94 and 2012 Silverado books were the same
Old January 17th, 2014, 9:56 PM
CF Beginner

It has been a year my 2002 Silverado ext cab truck has 92,880 miles and it failed inspection again now the rear shackles both side failed to rusted holes thru shackles,parking brake won't hold and the water pump another $1,500 GM ? Chevy quality has drop to new lows this is unacceptable gas lines,brake lines should never rust thru these are all safety issues, I filled sevral compaints to the NHSTA I urge you all please report failures to them so we can have safer trucks amd cars,vans on our roads.
Old January 19th, 2014, 9:50 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Benkagen
Page 19 of the Chevy limited warranty and owner assistance information book . Both my 94 and 2012 Silverado books were the same
so it is.
When you use the wrong product, like engine oil as was regularly done years ago, it destroys every rubber bushing on the vehicle. Products sold by krown and rust check are warranty approved.

I have worked for 2 manufacturers, one foreign and one domestic in the past 12years in the rust belt. I have seen some components warrantied, bumper covers, trim pieces but never any sheet metal.

Not rust proofing because you think it will void your warranty is a big mistake.