Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Question about replacing stock suspension?

Search this Thread

Old July 8th, 2010, 1:21 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about replacing stock suspension?

I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado, 2WD with 125,000 miles. I am the original owner and it still is in pretty good shape. Hoping for another 125,000!

In the past year, the ride has become quite "rough", especially going over potholes and road imperfections. I am considering having the original shock absorbers replaced to help smooth the ride. My questions are this:

1) If all the other suspension parts look good, will replacing only shock absorbers usually do the trick? Or should the front springs and rear leaf springs always be replaced at the same time.

2) Is this a DIY project for the average home mechanic, or would it be best to leave it to the professionals?

Thanks for your input!
Old July 8th, 2010, 4:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

springs normally don't need replaced, unless broken. shocks, and maybe the bushings in the springs if they are worn and cracked, is all you really need to replace. pretty straight forward as far as replacing shocks.
Old July 8th, 2010, 4:40 PM
CF Junior Member

Do you feel the OEM shocks are fine for casual driving, or would you recommend something after market?
Old July 8th, 2010, 4:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

alot depends on your preference. some like a bit stiffer ride, others want a smooth, bumpless ride. if you're not real picky, then stock type are good enough. otherwise, bilstein makes a great shock as well as the monroe sensa-trac shock.
Old July 8th, 2010, 9:40 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for the quick replies. From what I recall, the smooth ride from the OEM shocks was just fine. Since my goal is to return it to that 'less bumpy' feeling, I will most likely go with the OEM.

Thanks again!