Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Quiet Tire Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old December 27th, 2010, 6:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quiet Tire Suggestions?

Hello everyone, hope the holidays have been good to you and best early wishes for 2011.

I have a 2007 Silverado Crew Cab 1500 that I need to get new tires on. This truck came with the stock 17" wheels but about 2 months ago I swapped those out for the 2007 stock 20" wheels and tires.

The way I timed the purchase out on the new wheels was just about when I needed to get new tires on the 17"s. There was probably about 10-15% treadlife left and I wasn't willing to shell out $2000+ for new 20" wheels and tires with good treadlife still remaining on the 17"s so I bought the 20"s in the style I wanted from 2007 but the tires had little tread left on them. They are Michelin LTX 275/55/20 and will need to be replaced in about 4-6 weeks at the rate I drive around Southern CA (87,000 miles on my truck in 39 months or 2230 per month, mainly freeway driving).

Since this is the first time I am buying tires for the truck with 20"s on it now, anyone have any suggestions on a good, reputable brand that is all purpose but also is quiet and has a nice ride? Bridgestone, Goodyear, etc and which tire model? Maybe it's because of the treadlife left currently, but the Michelin's did not impress me so i probably won't be buying these.

I probably need to change the shocks on the truck too, they are still the originals from when I bought the truck new in Sept 2007 but I'll get those after the tires.

Any and all help would be appreciated and I would love to hear your experiences with whatever tires you used for the 20"s.

Thanks in advance!
Old December 27th, 2010, 7:36 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Michelins!

Never owned a vehicle with 20" rims, but they got it right for every other size.
Old December 27th, 2010, 8:20 PM
CF Beginner

I just put a set of Michelin LTX m/s2 on my 2003 Silverado replacing a set of Cooper Discoverers ATR. Very pleased with them for smooth riding and they greatly improved traction on wet/light snow conditions.
Old December 27th, 2010, 9:23 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What ever you buy stay away from Goodyear. Michelin are very good tires however they are the most expensive. I highly recommend Kumho. They are very comparable to a Michelin as far as not needing a whole lot of weight or having a high RoadForce number.
Old December 29th, 2010, 11:11 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the suggestions, I did some research yesterday and it looks like the Michelin LTX MS2s are the ones I will be going with.

I saw some others from Goodyear, but read the post above not recommending them. I had Goodyear Wranglers on this truck when it had the 17"s and they were fine but the truck is paid off so I figured since it's staying in the family it's best to invest in some higher end premium tires, especially since 3 children ages 5 and under ride in this a lot.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!
Old December 29th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Classifieds Moderator
TruckForums Liaison

I just got a set of Starfire m/s (made by cooper) for my truck and even for a mud and snow tire with aggressive tread, they are by far the smoothest and quietest tire I've had on a truck. I'm sure that the lower profile tires you will be running are a completely different ball game.

I'd say go Cooper or Michelin
Old December 30th, 2010, 11:02 AM
CF Beginner

I bought my '03 Silverado in '05 with 24K miles. I replaced the original tires at 56K with Cooper Discoverer ATR's. Ran these for 36K and had 5/32 tread left when I put on a set of Michelin LTX's. The Coopers were on sale buy three get one free. At the time I thought it was a good deal. Still do, for the price. The tires did make some noise but I didn't mind. They seemed to be a good tire. The one thing I didn't like about them was they were easy to break traction on wet pavement and not especially good in snow. When I decided to replace them I did a lot of searching and asking around to many people I thought knew tires. I narrowed my search down to two tires. The Grabber by General at $170 or the Michelins at $200 (they had a $70 rebate for a set at the time). Both tires were rated tops by Consumer Reports for good wet traction. I think the Grabber has a better aggressive tread design compared to the Michelins which probably gives it a higher rating in snow. The LTX's that I put on were immediately noticable for how quiet and smooth running. When it rained the first time I was extremely pleased with the wet traction. I even tried to break them loose from a stop but they grabbed the pavement. Also they have given me more peace of mind with shorter stopping distance on the wet. They were exactly what I was hoping for. When it snowed four inches on Christmas eve I noticed a big improvement over the Coopers in traction. I read in some forums and blogs that some were getting up to and beyond 80K miles on them. Even at a higher price I believe they are a better deal. What surpises me is how good they were in the snow and the tread design is not really aggressive. I read that silicon or something is in the compound of the tire that makes it grab the road under any condition. I highly recommend these tires since I've had a chance to try them out on wet/snow conditions.