Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Remove OnStar 2011 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old January 15th, 2012, 11:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The difference between disabled and removed might need to be explored. As I think both are relatively easy to achieve. Disable (via power supply), or remove by removing the unit. If you mean removal of the antenna and wiring harness that goes with it, that would be much harder, but I think you just want to have it permantently not working.

If it disabled via power supply, someone would have to access to your locked truck to reconnect it.
Old January 16th, 2012, 10:53 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks to everyone for their input. We appreciate it. This has been a trying time. A learning experience. We have contacted Attorney General, Senators, Congressman, BBB,Chevrolet in Detroit, etc. All agree, we were Misled by Sales Manager, etc.
The Dealer could have refunded our cash but chose not to. We signed the papers based on the words written in our contract, "Remove OnStar."
The Service Manager says he is in contact with GM in Detroit on how to disable it.
He has removed the OnStar Mirror. He will disconnect the antenna Fin.
There are other things that need to be unplugged I see, according to this forum.
We are thankful for your help.
The reason we want it disconnected? My husband is a disabled VietNam Vet, it is an invasion of our privacy, HiPPA violation. The OnStar Terms & Conditions, 26 page agreement is scary to read.
The dealer says," We can't remove the Module because it is part of the brain of the truck, the truck will not run without it."
Is this statement correct?
Where is the microphone located?
Old January 16th, 2012, 10:58 AM
CF Beginner

It is a Silverado extended cab 2 door.
Where is the power unit located in a truck?
The Module is under the dash. Is the Module the same thing as the power supply?
Old January 16th, 2012, 11:05 AM
CF Active Member

Seriously?? Come on. You can't live life worrying about crazy stuff like this. I agree the dealer was shady and didn't hold up their end, but there is nothing to be worried about with OnStar. Do you avoid computers, cell phones, smart phones and home phones too?
Old January 16th, 2012, 11:33 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by tsduke
Seriously?? Come on. You can't live life worrying about crazy stuff like this. I agree the dealer was shady and didn't hold up their end, but there is nothing to be worried about with OnStar. Do you avoid computers, cell phones, smart phones and home phones too?
Seriously?? Do you listen to the news.

If they do not want OnStar it is well within their rights to have it removed.

Personally, I would just have it disabled not removed. If you decide to sell it the next owner can enable if desired.
Old January 16th, 2012, 11:36 AM
CF Beginner

I understand how you feel.
We believe our right are being chipped away daily. If we do not speak up when we have a right to, eventually there will be no rights left to speak up for.
We wanted to warn others of this Dealer, we were just trying to help prevent others from this same experience.
I miss the days when grass was something you mowed, and pot was something you cooked in, and a handshake was all that was needed to make a deal and people kept their word.
We are just trying to help others.
I came to this forum looking for people who want to do the same
Old January 16th, 2012, 11:40 AM
CF Beginner

Thank You.
The dealer says they are disabling. We are suppose to pick it up today.. That is why I needed to know what to look for to make sure it is disabled. I appreciate your help.
Old January 16th, 2012, 12:54 PM
CF Active Member

I wasn't questioning anyone's right to disable OnStar and I said that. I was just saying I think it's getting worked up over nothing. There's a lot of cars out there with OnStar.

Last edited by tsduke; January 16th, 2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old January 26th, 2012, 5:50 PM
CF Junior Member

TS If you want big brother looking over your shoulder thats your choice. Some of us dont and thats our choice. I have pulled the plug on every GM Ive had for the last few years and will continue to. When and if it gets to the point I cant Disable it, Itll be time for another make.
Old January 26th, 2012, 5:59 PM
CF Active Member

I wasn't trying to be a jerk or anything just really wonder if it's worth it. Big brother is probably looking over us more than you will ever know. OnStar is nothing. Most of the stuff they do is just anonymous data collecting.

Also, if someone is monitoring what I'm doing via OnStar, what a snoozer for the person doing that.

Quick Reply: Remove OnStar 2011 Silverado