Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Roots style blower question

Search this Thread

Old September 23rd, 2010, 8:40 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roots style blower question

Hello,

As you can see I am new to this forum. I am interested in putting a magna charger or a kenny bell type blower on a Silverado 1500. I would appreciate any links to threads pretaining to this. As it will cut down my search time on the site.

I currently have a 2010 Camaro with nitrous on it. I am looking to trade it in on a truck in order to pull my boat. And I'm just thinking stepping out of that and into a truck it might just not have enough power (stock).

Thanks in advanced for your help.

Jeff

Last edited by J Lambert; September 24th, 2010 at 7:55 AM.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 10:25 AM
CF Beginner

thats easy, buy a duramax!!
Old October 7th, 2010, 8:26 AM
CF Beginner

Come on!!!! Someone has had to have done this.
Old October 7th, 2010, 2:13 PM
CF Active Member

This was real popular for the old diesels. The money you are going to spend on the super charger system, computer upgrades, etc. will probably be comparable to the additional cost to upgrade to a HD diesel. I have to agree with mx, and the factory forced inducted 2500 diesel would be the way to go. Not only would you have more torque because it's a diesel, but it would all be covered under the warranty.

Sorry I could not be more helpful. If I were doing it, I would use an all inclusive kit available through the various manufacturers. Bully dog would be my first choice.
Old October 7th, 2010, 5:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how big of a boat do u have??? my dads 06 2500 with the 6.0 can pull a **** load with no problem..
Old October 10th, 2010, 8:01 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ericnottelin
This was real popular for the old diesels. The money you are going to spend on the super charger system, computer upgrades, etc. will probably be comparable to the additional cost to upgrade to a HD diesel. I have to agree with mx, and the factory forced inducted 2500 diesel would be the way to go. Not only would you have more torque because it's a diesel, but it would all be covered under the warranty.

Sorry I could not be more helpful. If I were doing it, I would use an all inclusive kit available through the various manufacturers. Bully dog would be my first choice.
Well the 1500 Silverado LTZ I ordered was $39700 without the $2500 the dealer is offering as of right now. So that puts me at $37200. My price on a magnacharger is $6000. Exhaust and a cold air intake is $500. Magna Charger programs your computer for you in the cost of the charger. So now I'm at $43700. Unless I am missing something I do not know where I can get a 2011 2500 diesel for anywhere around that price. Or a 2010 for that matter. And absolutely not with the options of an LTZ. Last I checked I would be looking at about $10,000 more for the 2500 equipted the same. If not more!!!
Old October 10th, 2010, 8:10 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by gotstylez
how big of a boat do u have??? my dads 06 2500 with the 6.0 can pull a **** load with no problem..
I am not at all worried about pulling my boat. I am worried about having fun in a 1500 after stepping out of a 2010 Camaro. That I have running high 11's I might add. The boat was never the issue. I pulled it with my 2007 Tahoe with no problem. As you can see in my photo albums.

I would love the 2500 but I am trying to save the 10 grand if you know what I mean.
Old October 10th, 2010, 10:55 PM
CF Active Member

welcome to the site. Well I don't have all day to search this site for you, so that is something you will have to take care off. A 2010 duramax will not cost that much right now, I am sure over 38k but not by 10k. what kit you want to buy is up to you, But a duramax is a great truck, I have one and think it's great.
Old October 10th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi J Lambert,

Welcome to the Chevy forums.

Not for nuthin', but what's your gear ratio ?

You might want to look into the horsepower gains of a PCM chip Tuned by Black Bear or Nelson Tune.

You could save yourself about 5,700 beans over a supercharger or blower, and get yourself the extra power you need to pull a boat.

Unless you're planning on towing the USS Bainbridge or something...
Old October 11th, 2010, 8:31 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by LARIDERS
welcome to the site. Well I don't have all day to search this site for you, so that is something you will have to take care off. A 2010 duramax will not cost that much right now, I am sure over 38k but not by 10k. what kit you want to buy is up to you, But a duramax is a great truck, I have one and think it's great.
Being so new to the site I just thought I might get pointed in the right direction for someone that happened to remember reading a thread about blowers. I totally understand we could all be looking for days.

Last 2500 I priced well equipted but not ALL the bells and whistles was 56,000. I would love to own one and with a simple hand held programmer they run like hell.

I was just trying to save a few bucks and have a little fun at the same time.

Quick Reply: Roots style blower question