Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 11:49 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior
Print Wikipost

Sea Foam

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2009, 2:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sea Foam

Guys i would like to know how to use Sea foam does it work best in tank? Through PCV valve? Oil? And EvansBlue when i do this i would like to make a how to with pics and step by step info would this be alright? Any help is appreciated!!!!
Old May 10th, 2009, 10:09 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are 3 ways to use Sea Foam.

Intake Manifold (Through a vacuum line)
In with the Oil
In the Gas Tank

I did a DIY on how to put it in the intake manifold back when i owned an audi. Might help.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125055

To use it in the gas you just dump a an or two (It give the amounts on the can for cans per gallons)

To use it in the motors oil it's a bit more involved. You need to change the oil and then poor 1/2 to 1 can in with the oil. run the motor for ~200-300 miles then change the oil and filter. If you do not change the oil i've been told you can damage seals.

Last edited by ActiveMonkey; May 10th, 2009 at 10:15 AM.
Old May 10th, 2009, 11:29 AM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Anyone can do a seafoam treatment so there no real how-to material there.
HOWEVER
You can make an FAQ post to answer common questions about seafoam treatments.
Old May 10th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For my intake, I pulled the PCV hose off and let the hose suck it in , then immediately shut the motor and let it sit for 20-30 min , dont be surprised if the engine desiels for a few seconds, thats normal ( I have been told to do this with a cold engine, or semi-cold, not fully warm so the seafoam does not evaporate in the intake) If you see the white smoke for a few min after restarting, you did it right.

Last edited by Mike Sigmond; May 10th, 2009 at 11:58 AM. Reason: added
Old May 10th, 2009, 8:39 PM
CF Senior Member

have been using seafoam for yrs and had good result, never a trouble. talked to manufacturer direct, i think, they are in France somewhere.
anyhow, i use it in gas tank, twice a year. just pour it in before refuel, and flush in with gas.
i used it in crankcase on every car i own. no need to drain old oil. just pour it in, and drive for few hundred miles. drain used oil, flush with any cheap oil in your weight, then replace filter, and refill with fresh oil. i drove my ranger with it in for 2000 miles, just to check on possible problems. none.
you can use it through any vacuum line that goes into the intake. just think about where that air goes. you can use brake booster line.
now, none of those will get seafoam to injectors. you need to insert adapter to be able to run it directly through the fuel rail into injectors, just like they do at repair shops.

btw, you can use regular water sprayed into booster line. regular water. cleans crap off valves and combustion chambers. you'll need helper to keep rpms up.
Old May 10th, 2009, 8:43 PM
CF Active Member

I've heard of using the water trick on carbureted but I've always wondered if it worked on efi engines. Now I know.
Old May 10th, 2009, 8:53 PM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

I wouldn't think that water would be a good thing to put into your engine.... Its an anti-lubricant.
If it were me, I'd much rather stay on the safe side and use a petrol or alcohol based product.
Old May 10th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by EvansBlue
I wouldn't think that water would be a good thing to put into your engine.... Its an anti-lubricant.
If it were me, I'd much rather stay on the safe side and use a petrol or alcohol based product.
I second that, not saying water does not clean anything but Seafoam or like products is worth the 7 bucks a bottle to me, water might rust up your O2's with the steam it makes, I have learned to be very O2 sensor friendly, those buggers are expensive!.
Old May 11th, 2009, 4:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i used it in my gas tank and pcv valve! i havent noticed with my gas tank but i notinced a lot more power with it through my pcv valve! Smoked a lot must of been really dirty! Anyone noticed any difference in perfromance running it through crankcase(oil)?
Old May 11th, 2009, 9:34 PM
CF Active Member

did you change the plugs after?

Quick Reply: Sea Foam