Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Silverado Backup Camera?

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2010 | 8:35 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Speedy650
is it just me, or are people getting lazy. backup cameras? do people not learn how to drive their vehicles anymore? im old fashioned and im only 21. i hate all that navigation and tv's and 10,000 speakers and w/e else people are putting in their cars now days. whatever happened to maps and knowing where the corners and sides of your vehicle are? i honestly think its just laziness.

Its called convenience just like anything else in this world.
Old May 20th, 2010 | 9:40 AM
Administrator

I agree its not lazy at all but a real safety convenience, I don't have one, but when having to back out of the garage at 5am in the dark to see that the driveway is clear would be really nice.
I see that Sam's club has one but its a separate screen. I'd rather have the one that puts the video output in a small screen in the rear view mirror.
Old September 1st, 2010 | 3:11 PM
CF Beginner

Do you mean that the Nav has to be programmed by the dealer so that the backup camera works properly. Or can you do it on the Nav screen?
Old September 2nd, 2010 | 8:53 AM
CF Active Member

Yes the head unit needs to be programed at the dealer so that it displays the images from the back up camera, like shawn said, if you don't see the black screen on the head unit when you back up then go to menu and choose display then you should have the option of turning on or off the display from the camera every time you shift in to reverse. in my case when my head unit was programmed at the dealer they programmed it to accept the camera, though I don't have one yet I had to turn that option off manually but as soon as I have my camera hooked up I will turn it on and enjoy. Right now I'm using the one that samsclub sells but yes it would be nice to see the images right in my radio screen automatically every time I shift in to reverse.
Old September 11th, 2010 | 6:32 AM
DMS
CF Beginner

I have successfully installed a Gen6 Lockpick/IPOD lockpick combo and it works great with an aftermarket rear camera (4-wire harness) in my '07 NBS Silverado LTZ with factory navi.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
I prefer the tailgate bezel location, so I bought the GM rear camera (#2599 8187) for it. The camera has a 6-wire harness; the lockpick only expects 4 wires.<o></o>
Has anyone connected this camera to a Gen6 Lockpick?<o></o>
Old September 23rd, 2010 | 2:52 PM
CF Beginner

Default Wiring

I have a '07 NBS 1500 LTZ with factory NAV and want to add the backup camera. I have not had it reprogrammed yet but was wondering if anyone knows if the wiring for the camera is already ran to the tailgate or if it is something that I will need to do?
Thanks
Old September 24th, 2010 | 7:10 AM
DMS
CF Beginner

Beesr, You will have to run the harness yourself. Your easiest option is to go with a kit such as the one from Autostrata (all GM parts, but better pricing) or Rostra (aftermarket components).
Old December 8th, 2010 | 2:26 PM
CF Beginner

Default Another Option

Checkout this kit as another option!
http://www.gmbackupcams.com/products/
Old June 9th, 2011 | 2:16 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Speedy650
is it just me, or are people getting lazy. backup cameras? do people not learn how to drive their vehicles anymore? im old fashioned and im only 21. i hate all that navigation and tv's and 10,000 speakers and w/e else people are putting in their cars now days. whatever happened to maps and knowing where the corners and sides of your vehicle are? i honestly think its just laziness.
Obviously at age 21, you have no children that could very well be standing behind you completely blind to the driver (blind spot can be up to 20 ft behind you . I know EXACTLY where the corners of my professionally driven 2011 Silverado (Class A license) and backing over children that run there AFTER you get in your vehicle is not high on my list of things to accomplish. Backup Cameras on trucks should be standard equipment IMO. In fact, my 3 year old can walk completely around 3 sides of my truck without ever being seen from the driver's seat - yes, I have tested this. Perhaps when you get to the stage of fathering children and you are faced with the possibility of loosing them through something that could easily have been avoided, you will understand.
Old June 9th, 2011 | 2:23 PM
Administrator

Not to mention those that maybe impaired and can't easily turn to look...

Quick Reply: Silverado Backup Camera?