Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 1:40 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Silverado HID Install

Search this Thread

Old July 7th, 2011, 11:49 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow i went with halogen upgrade replacement headlights/foglights

I took an entirely different route to upgrading my lighting but it took some trial and error. Started by trying silverstar ultras. Nice bulbs but didn't last long enough. The last and final experiment was switching to the new solux bulbs and I think I found a set-up I really like. They are not obnoxious/harsh white/blue light - they are 4600k and claim to replicate natural daylight (which I'd agree that they do). They claim 80% brighter (again, I'd agree). The bottom line is that to me they are much better than the standard factory halogens. I replaced my low-beams, high-beams and my fog lights and I can see way better. Seems to be easier on my eyes / less fatigue. The high-beams are absolutely unbelievable...especially in the country where I live. They are dot approved and legal. The only thing I don't know is if their longevity will be as claimed (same as standard halogens or 2x-4x longer than silverstar ultras). We'll see...but so far, so good.
Old March 12th, 2012, 8:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been flashed with stock lights since day one, so you would think why gm would put them that high? but don't get me wrong I like them a lot, they are just a little brighter that normal.
Old March 12th, 2012, 11:03 PM
CF Junior Member

Yeah the HID I had on my 08' were great but I realized that the reason they were blinding people is because the housings for halogens are not meant for HIDs
You need to add a projector lense and it will be better for others on the road and even better for you
Old March 15th, 2012, 9:27 PM
CF Beginner

I have xenon HID's in my 2007 silverado in the high/low/and fogs(in the fogs are a set of HID High beam because the casing grooves and the wire harness fits...so i said why the hell not)
Old March 16th, 2012, 12:26 PM
CF Beginner

I was just wondering if I could do this on my truck. I'm way excited that I can/am going to. Is there a how to here on the forums?
Old March 17th, 2012, 9:52 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by QUETRANPA
you know I have been flashed with stock lights since day one, so you would think why gm would put them that high? but don't get me wrong I like them a lot, they are just a little brighter that normal.
anyway I just got HID's on my fogs and yes I love them, but I hate to see others with really bright HID's 'cause the human eye tends to stare at the lights, plus there's nothing else to see!!!!!!!!!!!! it comes to the point to where I close my eyes until the other car has passed!
Originally Posted by youmeill
I have been flashed with stock lights since day one, so you would think why gm would put them that high? but don't get me wrong I like them a lot, they are just a little brighter that normal.
Darn that's exactly what I said back in april of last year!!!!!!!!!!!!
page 2 post # 17 in this thread !!!!!!!!!!!!!
what the heck????????????????????
Old March 17th, 2012, 10:02 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by chevyforever
I was just wondering if I could do this on my truck. I'm way excited that I can/am going to. Is there a how to here on the forums?
yea it would be nice if the guys that have done it post more info,
like website where they got the HID's price etc
by the way I have HID's on my fogs but forgot how bright they are since my son got them for me, but I want to get all of them HID's like zada230 did on his truck
as far as installation goes, well they come with instructions, but yes a how to thread would be nice too
but let me do a little research and get back to you all, I know I've seen it before
Old March 18th, 2012, 7:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 512 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by chevyforever

i've installed a beamers hid kit. It was simple plug and play.

If you have had any other modifications that effect ride height ie. oversized rims and tires. leveling kits, get the headlights re-aimed.
Old March 19th, 2012, 6:11 AM
CF Beginner

Arrow

Originally Posted by jeff618
I took an entirely different route to upgrading my lighting but it took some trial and error. Started by trying silverstar ultras. Nice bulbs but didn't last long enough. The last and final experiment was switching to the new solux bulbs and I think I found a set-up I really like. They are not obnoxious/harsh white/blue light - they are 4600k and claim to replicate natural daylight (which I'd agree that they do). They claim 80% brighter (again, I'd agree). The bottom line is that to me they are much better than the standard factory halogens. I replaced my low-beams, high-beams and my fog lights and I can see way better. Seems to be easier on my eyes / less fatigue. The high-beams are absolutely unbelievable...especially in the country where I live. They are dot approved and legal. The only thing I don't know is if their longevity will be as claimed (same as standard halogens or 2x-4x longer than silverstar ultras). We'll see...but so far, so good.
Someone kicked up this thread again so I thought I'd report back. Still digging the solux bulbs mentioned previously. The high beams are unbelievable (I live in the country and use them a lot). Low beams have more distance but due to aiming its not quite as impressive as the low beams but definitely can see the lines in the road better, etc. Oh, and by the way I've never been flashed once by oncoming traffic because they're installed in the original housings and do not halo. 9-10 months now and all is well!