Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Silverado issues- reverse and fuel gauge

Search this Thread

Old December 13th, 2012, 11:25 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Silverado issues- reverse and fuel gauge

hey all,

i have a few issues with my silverado i was looking to get some info on.
its a late 99 model z71 5.3L, about 155k miles

when its cold (i dont notice it warm, but need to check) and i back out of my driveway, it backs up, but if i hit the gas hard, it acts like its in neutral like 80% and 20% in reverse.... like its not grabbing fully. is this a tranny issue? a big issue or would changing the fuild help? could it be my transfer case? it makes a bearing noise but otherwise has no issues (unless its causing this). i have a rebuilt one waiting to go in but i dont want to install it til its needed.

also, i had an aquaintance install a new fuel pump in it a few years ago. after it was done, my gas gauge has been completely wrong.... it will alternate between full and completely empty (with the fuel light on) about every 7 minutes or so. i have been using my trip meter as a gas gauge. i can live with this, but if its an easy fix it would be nice to do.

oh and one other small thing. just curious.... my heat barely works when its on 1 and 2, and then when i put it on 3 its blasting pretty good. i always have to alternate between 3 and off. not a big deal, just curious

thanks for any help!
Old December 16th, 2012, 1:56 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyvisone
hey all,

i have a few issues with my silverado i was looking to get some info on.
its a late 99 model z71 5.3L, about 155k miles

when its cold (i dont notice it warm, but need to check) and i back out of my driveway, it backs up, but if i hit the gas hard, it acts like its in neutral like 80% and 20% in reverse.... like its not grabbing fully. is this a tranny issue? a big issue or would changing the fuild help? could it be my transfer case? it makes a bearing noise but otherwise has no issues (unless its causing this). i have a rebuilt one waiting to go in but i dont want to install it til its needed.

also, i had an aquaintance install a new fuel pump in it a few years ago. after it was done, my gas gauge has been completely wrong.... it will alternate between full and completely empty (with the fuel light on) about every 7 minutes or so. i have been using my trip meter as a gas gauge. i can live with this, but if its an easy fix it would be nice to do.

oh and one other small thing. just curious.... my heat barely works when its on 1 and 2, and then when i put it on 3 its blasting pretty good. i always have to alternate between 3 and off. not a big deal, just curious

thanks for any help!

I have an 01 Silverado with the same reverse issue that you are having except when mine does that all of a sudden it will catch and almost Buck as it goes in reverse also first gear I have a hard shift I don't know about you. I have replaced the filter and oil in the tranny and put some Lucas transmission treatment in when I did that it helped a little but nothing major I also changed the rear diff cover and fluid that seemed to help a little bit as well but mine still does that not as bad as it was but it still does do that to me. As for your heat problem it kind of sounds to me like a thermostat. Does the truck temp gauge heat up? Or does it take a while or doesn't it move at all? I would say try a thermostat they are cheap and easy to change. As for the gas gauge it sounds like the sending unit is bad on it that's usually what is wrong when the gauge fluctuates like that I would say buy another pump online cheap and install it.
Old December 18th, 2012, 10:38 PM
CF Junior Member

hoff----- ya i actually do have a hard shift out of first gear too.... we must have the same issue whatever it is........... any takers?????

and for the heat, yes my temp gauge heats up to normal op temp. the heat works great, it just doesnt blow a lot of air on 1 and 2... i wouldnt throw money at it now because the heat does work great on 3 4 and 5.

and for the fuel gauge.... the pump was new about 3 years ago, and works good. i probably wouldnt put in a new fuel pump just to fix my gas gauge. but its good to know that thats what the issue is. thanks a lot!
Old March 13th, 2013, 8:22 AM
CF Junior Member

hey all, back again.....

still got the reverse issue. its at the point now where sometimes i cannot back out of a parking space. sometimes itll backup a little bit with no gas and the wheel straight, and sometimes not... when i hit the gas it will sometimes do nothing and sometimes catch a little. sometimes i have to rev it pretty high and itll catch and spin the tires all of a sudden.

everything in drive works great besides the slightly hard shift from 1st to 2nd. i do have all my forward gears working though.

help! thanks,
tony
Old March 13th, 2013, 10:00 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That "slipping/no reverse cold" is the classic symptom of a plugged tranny filter.

If the oil is black, it's probably too late. Doesn't take much to wipe out that rear clutch when it's starved for oil.

Allan
Old March 13th, 2013, 2:45 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Allan In NE
That "slipping/no reverse cold" is the classic symptom of a plugged tranny filter.

If the oil is black, it's probably too late. Doesn't take much to wipe out that rear clutch when it's starved for oil.

Allan
well thats good news.... especially since my oil in still pinkish red. im going to try this even though i dont know how. some youtubing and an autozone trip and ill be all set. ill post an update soon! thanks!
Old March 13th, 2013, 2:56 PM
CF Junior Member

perfect video

Old March 15th, 2013, 8:46 AM
CF Junior Member

hoooooly #$%&^$&%&*^$&#*$^&*%&^@#!!!!!!!!!!!!!
why didnt anybody warn me of that! haha. it took me the entire bruins game just to get that dam tranny pan off.

the shift bracket is in the way. i had to disconnect the driveshaft (from motor to t case) and then use a tie down to pull the bracket over towards the drivers side frame. the drain plug wouldnt come out so i had to do it the messy way. and yes it was messy. and after all that, my exhaust was in the way. i think its a little bigger than stock. so i would up rigging up another tie down to pull that a tiny bit. then i had to wrestle with it and pull off another bracket and it finally came off.... i thought this was supposed to be a routine maintenance procedure!!?!?!??! am i going crazy?

anyways, here some pics, then i have some more questions
Name:  IMG_1521_zps68064b43.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  84.7 KB
Name:  IMG_1522_zps644a8c83.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  90.4 KB
Name:  IMG_1524_zps1da056f2.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  70.3 KB
Name:  IMG_1525_zps99e95e7a.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  78.0 KB

this plastic piece was broken, i dont think i hit it, but its possible. im assuming its fine though, plus the filter holds it in a bit...
Name:  IMG_1529_zpsf9081196.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  104.1 KB
one of the solenoids was pretty loose, and the other was much tighter.... but i saw a guy on youtube with the same issue/question
Name:  IMG_1530_zpsd8d231e0.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  107.5 KB

heres a video showing that.... nevermind, the video wont work.. maybe in a later post if needed

okay so my questions.....

there were two shorter bolts holding the tranny pan on. i didnt take note of where they went because i assumed they were all the same. anybody know where they go?? or know of a diagram showing this?

any way i can loosen that drain plug for next time? its back on the truck but i didnt add oil yet.
Old March 15th, 2013, 8:50 AM
CF Junior Member

oh and one more thing.... when i took them off, they were all very loose. i used a socket and extension for them.... no ratchet! weird??? i dont think its been pulled off for atleast 50k miles...
Old March 15th, 2013, 9:29 AM
CF Junior Member

^^ the tranny pan bolts that is...

Quick Reply: Silverado issues- reverse and fuel gauge