Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 23rd, 2015, 4:37 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Silverado Navigation HELP!

Search this Thread

Old March 22nd, 2011 | 8:26 AM
CF Active Member

NO frustration here relax, it was easy in my case but I think it was pure luck 'cause I didn't know anything about hooking up a h/u but it took me months and alot of reading in this forum (and others too) but in the end it was worth it, my navigation is working like a charm!!!!!!!!
Where did you guys get your nav units?
I know some guys say that any h/u will work on any truck and it is just a matter on how it is programed at the dealer, but I do not know if that is true or not, so I would recommend doing alot of research before you buy a h/u
I see some sellers on ebay that state that the one they are selling will work or will not work on a truck with out BOSE so make sure before you buy, some others say that the h/u is plug and play and in some rare cases you will need to take it to the dealer for programing but who knows!!!

Last edited by QUETRANPA; March 22nd, 2011 at 8:28 AM.
Old March 22nd, 2011 | 1:54 PM
CF Beginner

can anyone post a pic of the vss wire where it plugs in on the head unit and maybe one wirhout being installed
Old March 23rd, 2011 | 4:38 PM
CF Active Member

so where did you get your VSS wire? 'cause if it came with the harness then is a matter of just plugging it to the back of the h/u (it only fits in 1 of the plugs and only fits one way so you can't mess it up) and the other end to the junction box and you are done!
I got mine on ebay and it came complete, so it was easy to hook up, now if you look hard enough in this forum you will find the schematics for the 4 plugs in the back of the h/u (I know I saw them some several months ago) now I will try to take mine apart and take a pic of it and also I will try to find those schematics and post a link to it but may be someone can help us on that since I have a busy week and it will take me several days to get back to you.

Last edited by QUETRANPA; March 23rd, 2011 at 4:41 PM.
Old March 23rd, 2011 | 5:21 PM
CF Active Member

ok I found the info and it only took me a few min how is that?
ok click on the link and you will see the whole deal, post #8

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tah...wer-sub-17831/

let me know if you have any questions, as for the pic of the back of the h/u it will be a few days before I get to take it and post it.
Old March 24th, 2011 | 4:24 PM
CF Beginner

thanks for the link. It has been a few months since I last pulled my nav unit out to send it off and I just unplugged the harnesses that were in the kit with the unit when I got it. I remember running a wire and installing it in a orange plug in the junction box behind the brake pedal. I lost my instructions but I can find them on the web. I just wonder what that wire was for,it had a terminal that I just had to put in the plug. I didnt have to tap into a wire. I think it was in a brown plug on the back of the hu. Im sure when Im able to install it I will figure it out. Oh yeah dont pull out your hu just for that pic, I know how time can be and the schematic link will be helpful. I hope all this makes sense. Haha. Again man thanks for the info.
Old March 25th, 2011 | 8:27 PM
CF Active Member

no problem I'm glad I was able to help, and let us know how it works when you hook it up!!!
Old March 29th, 2011 | 6:07 PM
CF Beginner

Ok well I got mine back from CPS and had it installed by my local audio place today and everything is up and running. They installed the VSS cable for me and CPS added the amp to it and the sound is quality is good. I gave up on trying to install myself but the good news is it can be done although the GM guys told me it could not.
Old November 5th, 2012 | 8:01 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by QUETRANPA
NO frustration here relax, it was easy in my case but I think it was pure luck 'cause I didn't know anything about hooking up a h/u but it took me months and alot of reading in this forum (and others too) but in the end it was worth it, my navigation is working like a charm!!!!!!!!
Where did you guys get your nav units?
I know some guys say that any h/u will work on any truck and it is just a matter on how it is programed at the dealer, but I do not know if that is true or not, so I would recommend doing alot of research before you buy a h/u
I see some sellers on ebay that state that the one they are selling will work or will not work on a truck with out BOSE so make sure before you buy, some others say that the h/u is plug and play and in some rare cases you will need to take it to the dealer for programing but who knows!!!
Hey bro I been reading the forums n also the link you posted but I'm lost with this h/u n vss wire. I just have a plain 1500 crew cab silverado. I bought the navi from my friends. I connected it n it said theft lock n it's stuck on a blue screen. I took it to the dealership because they told me they had to program it to my vin but when they tried to do it they said my truck isn't able to connect cuz it doesn't have the proper stuff to function. Cuz I can't even hear when my turning signal is on.. My friend gave me the whole connection like the amp and subwoofer that came with his truck. Is their any way to make it work?? Please help me I'm getting real frustrated. Sorry for the long story lol