Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Some real trouble, need help.

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2008, 12:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some real trouble, need help.

I have been having a really hard time with my 1992 Chevy C 1500 Pickup. It's a V8 5.6L regular cab. I've had a odd set of problems happen lately. This all started about 6 months ago.

First my radio stops getting stations, and just plays static. Tape deck still works.
Next my volume control gets stuck really loud.
Then my clock reads 1:06 all the time, and I can't set it.
Then my fan for A/C or Heater will stay on even when the truck is turned off. I drained my battery a couple times because of that.
Then I got my A/C repaired (compressor died)

The big problem now is that I can turn my A/C off while driving but the compressor is still engaged. I know because i can feel my engine idle down under load of the compressor and back up after it kicks off. Also when I turn my truck off, (even though A/C is off) the compressor is still engaged draining the battery. I know this because i can disconnect the battery and watch the front plate on the compressor snap in and out (pretty loud).

Sometimes the problem with the A/C staying on goes away. The radio problems have not gone away. But then i'll turn my A/C off and still hear it working and I know the problem is back.

I had to get a new battery because my last stopped working because i killed it so many times . now when I know the problem is back i disconnect the battery when parking.

Anyone have any ideas?

I was thinking I would try to replace the radio control head (the top box with the clock). It's the stock one that came with it.
radio head link

I'm not sure if this could be causeing the A/C problem. I know the clock needs power when the truck is off so if this box is botched maybe it is effecting other things.

thanks for any advice! This is my 1st post here. 8)

Ben
Old May 31st, 2008, 4:57 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Some real trouble, need help.

isnt the radio and a/ccontrolsand allthat in the same cluster on that year model?.. from what i can remember i think it is but i could be wrong.. more than likely i am but, it could be somethin has shorted out behind that panel.. i could be wrong but try investigating that.. dont kill me if im wrong
Old May 31st, 2008, 5:46 PM
Super Moderator

4dartist, welcome to the forum!!!
Old May 31st, 2008, 6:03 PM
CF Senior Member

Welcome to the forum! Dude, its a 1992, trust me, you got your moneys worth out of the stock radio, lol. Seriously, I was thinking the same thing, arent all the controls in the same panel??? Or is yours one of the ones that has half the radio by the a/c controls and half the radio mounted in the center of the dash? If youve already had your a/c worked on, I would venture to say the problem lies in the computer thats controlling the whole thing. I would look online and replace that whole a/c module in your dash with a new one, prob. cost a couple hundred bucks, maybe you can find one at a parts store or junk yard for cheaper. That body style stayed the same for awhile and even though the front end changed I think I remember someone saying the inside parts are still interchangable, double check that though. And go to www.crutchfield.com and buy a aftermarket radio, it will come with the install kit for the dash and a wiring harness for free, install is easy. You can get a descent cd player for $100, which is way less than you would spend trying to find the stock one.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 8:39 AM
CF Active Member

How about other electronics like your fuel pump that are keyed? Are they staying hot when the vehicles off? I was thinking it might be something with the ignition switch??...maybe??..

And yea the radio controls are in the same cluster as his a/c controls, but the tape player is in a different section, and the actual radio controler is in a third location under your dash just to the right of the gas pedal. A lot of wiring there, and if I remember right the a/c wiring has something to do with the radio controller...but don't quote me on that one.