Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

steering shaft

Search this Thread

Old January 19th, 2008, 7:20 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering shaft

My 04 silverado is again making that noise from the steering shaft, when under wearranty GM said they replaced then repaired the steering shaft. Now that the truck is out of warranty does anybody know of how to fix the steering intermediate shaft?
Old January 22nd, 2008, 3:00 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: steering shaft

I thinksometime last year Chevrolet came out with another service kit to correct the problem. You might want to check with the dealer to see if what they did is the most recent repair.
Old January 26th, 2008, 12:02 AM
CF Beginner

I don't know who make the kits for these but you might be able to pick one up at the dealer and fix it yourself. It's an easy fix if your somewhat mechanical and only need to take out 1 bolt on the steering shaft to remove the short section that needs to be re-lubed. You migh want to Goggle this since I've seen repair kits online. Hope this helps...MB from HB
Old January 29th, 2008, 5:34 PM
CF Junior Member

i also have this very same problem....been fixed once and now out of warranty....ive heard some bad things while replaceing this.... problem to the affect of that the back yard mechanic may accidentally set off the air bag?....is this possible??

ty
trev
Old January 30th, 2008, 6:10 PM
CF Junior Member

I just boughta new style steering shaftoff of ebay for 70 bucks we'll see if it works
Old January 31st, 2008, 2:55 PM
CF Beginner

i had the same problem at first i would hear knocking then one day i couldnt steer left and i took it to the dealer they replaced the shaft and about like 2 months later i had to replace the rack and pinion hope this helps you
Old February 3rd, 2008, 6:55 PM
CF Senior Member

check with this site they make one to fix this problem.

The Part No. is 000937 and you can see them, and order, at
www.borgeson.com.

You may have to e-mai them. I didn't find it on their site.

I belive it's flamming river that makes one too.
Old February 4th, 2008, 12:36 AM
CF Junior Member

Yeah Summit racing sells it, it costs like $200-300, very nice though
Old February 4th, 2008, 4:12 PM
CF Beginner

Apparently GM has anew re-designed part to replace the I-Shaft that has been giving everyone such a hard time. I just ordered one (part number19153614) it listed for $92.00 but you can get it through www.partszoneonline.com for $60.31. It is a fairly simple operation and you do not remove the steering shaft, nor do you take it apart. First make sure the steering wheel is straight (wheels pointed in a straight forward direction) you should also remove the battery cable before starting. Look at the new part once you get it, you will see which bolt needs to be removed from under the hood, for bolt number one. Under the dash along the steering shaft you will see the second bolt of the two that need to be removed. Once both bolts are out of the old I-Shaft, the I-Shaft can be pushed together in on itself (hold new I-Shaft and push to close and pull toopen so you understand what I'm trying to say)the shaft will then come out of the upper and lowersteering shaft sections. Just reverse the order to install the new one.

It is a pain but not that bad. The whole process might take you an hour. If youthink about it you can have this new part delivered to you for less than you can go to the dealer and buy it. I had mine delivered to me plus the cost of the part for $72.31, and it's a real GM part, not a knock off.

I hope this helps. Good Luck
Old February 5th, 2008, 5:49 PM
CF Beginner

Just so everyone knows this newer I-Shaft is just that, the newest thing they have re-designed for this on-going problem. Apparently GM made some lube kit (that failed), and before that GM Tech's were told to remove these I-Shafts and lube them, and then re-install them, allto no avail. The number for this new I-Shaft is a GM Part Number 19153614. If you read my previous post you can order it on-line at a decent price. But this is the newest thing GM has for this problem, they say this is it (let's hope so)