Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

stupid cops and magnaflow exhaust

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2007, 10:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stupid cops and magnaflow exhaust

got a warning and 15 days to change my exhaust back to stock....i have a magnaflow with the cat and the muffler yet and is not nearly as loud as some others i've heard....also the tint on the front windows that match the rear windows have to be changed back....but i don't want to how do i avoid this. the cop was a ****ing dick like any cop.......he goes you must have put that exhaust on yourself....i'm like no actually i got it from the car dealership like that which i did
Old April 7th, 2007, 11:54 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: stupid cops and magnaflow exhaust

where do you live? Sounds like that cop was an ars. In washington we can have only 35% tint on front door windows other states have out lawed tint up front completly and you will get a ticket for it. As far as exhaust he can shove it!!! look how many Harley Davidsons are on the road make them fix theres too.
Old April 8th, 2007, 10:14 AM
CF Junior Member

All depends on the laws of the state you live in as to what you can and can't do to your stock exhaust. If your state does not have any such law(s) on the books the cop has no legal standing to make you change it back. I doubt he would tell you that however unless there is a law covering the subject. Possible though there isn't. Call your state's DMV office and ask if there is such a law? Find out from the person what it is( ie; statute number )so you can go online to your state's web site and look it up and see just what it is.

If your state in fact does have sucha law on the books about modifying the exhaust then you are SOL unfortunately. My state has something about it is illegal tomodify the stock exhaustbut it is not enforced unless it is extremely loud and obnoxious. Not all cops are A$$ holes.I run duals on all my trucks and never get hassled because I am sureto keep the noise level reasonable. Dumped straight pipes, cut outs, or glass packs and I would be.

If the law about exhaust in your statethe cop was referring to has to do with decible limits(tons ofstates use this instead ofmakingit illegal to modify the exhaust period )and/or emissions then you have ways around removing it. Find out if your current exhaust meets the decible limit(usually 100-110 I have read as I recall). If it does then you are set. If the law has to do with emissions manny of these systems are 50 states emissions certified. As long as you can pass the emissions testing at inspection( if your state requires it )the cop has no grounds there either. Again, it all comes down to what laws your state has enacted.

If you do have to put the truck back to stock then I would see the dealer who installed it about some $$$ back. If by any chance you bought this truck new and the exhaust was a dealer installed accessory included in the sale then I believe that gives you a loop hole to claim it is what came with the truck new. If it went on after you bought the truck, or you bought the truck used, you are in for a hard time.

You can try fighting this in court but if any laws are on the books prohibiting what you did you will lose. Same goes for window tinting. That is one every state pretty much has on the books. They set a max tint % and it is enforced vigorously as it is considered something that defends law enforcement personel.

Find out what your state's max allowable tint % is and have someone with a tint scan gauge test it to see. If you are within allowable limits ignore the cop. If you aren't you have no choice. Only recourse I see for you is, like with the dealer installed exhaust, is to go to the shop that put the tint on for some $$$ back. If they won't refund your money then take them to small claims court. Anything you bought and self installed however and it is your loss. They would have had to install it as well IMO to have any claim against them.

These places should not be installing things that are illegal. Unless they provide you with a disclaimer stating the stuff they did to your vehicle is for off road use only I would think they have liability in this selling& installingthings that are not legal. If they passed you on inspection with these things on your ride you really have them.
Old April 9th, 2007, 2:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: NHSilverado
Not all cops are A$$ holes.
I agree with NHSiverado (I am not a cop by the way). But I will tell you that most tickets depend on YOUR attitude.
Old April 13th, 2007, 2:18 AM
CF Beginner

seems kinda odd that ya got hassled by the man .. on my 91 all it has is hedman long tube headers n 2.5in pipes n flowmatser 40 series mufflers on it and its loud ...all the local donut eaters do is look at it and smile or i get the occassional thumbs up ...i think he was having a bad day and he singled you out ......id fight it even if ya have to go to court ...
Old April 13th, 2007, 1:36 PM
CF Active Member

I agree with engine2. If you are honest and polite to a cop they will give you a warning.

Ive been pulled over 2x for minor light problems and he just gave me a warning.
Old April 15th, 2007, 1:34 AM
CF Beginner

thats bull crap. unless ur louder than a harley then uve got every right to have your pipes. ive got 2 cherry bombs and ive never been stopped. of course im from alabama and almost every truck down here has pipes. im about to just run straight pipes and if any cops tell me its too loud il tell them to kiss my@$$ cause ive still got cats and thats all it takes to be legal.
Old April 15th, 2007, 3:03 PM
CF Active Member

BIG BAD Z, if you do run that set up you have to still be in the legle DB level.