Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Surprising my husband with a chevy HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old March 3rd, 2010, 10:14 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go as dark as state allows on the tint. Personally I'd pass on the chrome with all the black unless your husband likes the chrome.

By the way...cool idea. You know the way to a man's heart.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought mine for 20 bucks on ebay ut I'm not sure what brands are better
Old March 3rd, 2010, 11:19 PM
CF Beginner

Default Surprising my husband more Questions

I appreciate the help and suggestions from a male's point of view. Thank you! A few more things...
  1. K&N Air filter... I will clean it tomorrow, and re-oil. Anything important i need to know about that process? or is it pretty straigt forward? i got the cleaner and oil.
  2. LONG story on the truck but I got the truck from a guy that didn't take care of it, but didn't drive it much either. It mostly sat empty on ALL fluids for about 2 years. YIKES! Is there an percautions I should take, as far as extra TLC. Special oil, certain extra maintainace additives? Anything? I just changed the spark plugs and wires and they crumbled when i took them off. I replaced the fuel filter and it was pretty bad. Just changed the battery and terminals. All new fluids, oil change tomorrow. Should I use a certain oil to baby the engine?
  3. This might sounds stupid but there is a little problem with the tailgate. I lift the handle and it doesn't always open. I have to take a screwdriver and use it to pry the little bar on one side toward the center, then it will open. This tailgate is 98 silverado, I have a 94 Sierra tailgate in the garage, can I swap those two mechisms?
  4. I'm frustrated with the passenger door. You have to SLAM it shut. Is that a hinge thing? Oh... yes it has the third door.
ANYTHING YOU CAN THINK OF PLEASE LET ME KNOW!
Old March 3rd, 2010, 11:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

1. pretty straight forward
2. make sure all fluids are new, clean and full before start up. let truck idle for a bit before driving. check all fluids before driving, just to be sure. did you also change the cap and rotor and air filter?
3. yes, tailgates and the handles and such are interchangeable.
4. more than likely a hinge problem. probably just needs a new hinge pin. if you can get an extra set of hands to help ya here, it'll make life alot easier. not hard, just akward for one person.

just pay attention to the truck. it'll tell ya if anything is wrong. watch for one brake grabbing more than another, wandering while driving, unusual noises, grinding. also, have alignment checked. these rigs are notorious for needing front end alignments. and post pics as soon as you can!!!
Old March 3rd, 2010, 11:59 PM
CF Beginner

I didn't change the cap and rotor. I took it all apart to check for the white crusties or dirt and it was spotless! Should I do it anyway? i didn't change the air filter, just plan to clean it tomorrow. It's the K&N should I replace it? I'm not sure if I posted pictures right. i went to the garage area and posted there, is that right? this is all new to me.
Old March 4th, 2010, 12:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

if the k&n still looks new, purple, not black and dirty, then keep it. run cap and rotor, but if it seems like it's running a bit off, change them. and yeah, if the pics are in garage, you're good to go. gonna check em now.
Old March 4th, 2010, 12:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice truck, what branch is he in, if you don't mind me asking?
Old March 4th, 2010, 12:33 AM
CF Beginner

8 years navy, california
Old March 4th, 2010, 12:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome, I've been in the Air Force for just over 3.5. Just reenlisted.
Old March 5th, 2010, 10:04 AM
CF Junior Member

i have mine blacked out as well, i would definitely go with the black out and darkest tint allowed by law, only thing chrome on mine is the mirrors and they have Leds on them so you cant tell

Quick Reply: Surprising my husband with a chevy HELP!!!