Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Synthetics

Search this Thread

Old June 30th, 2008, 4:37 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthetics

I was thinking about running synthetics in my 92 and my 95 because I heard that it would help with MPG. Is this a true statement and is it ok to run fully synthetic in older vehicles?
Old June 30th, 2008, 4:48 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: Synthetics

it is true they will help but the affect is minimal compared to the cost. i use Royal Purple 5w30 oil (havent changed out the transfer case, and diff. yet) and i have seen no incresase in mpg. they said i could go 10k miles but dont recommend any more than that without and oil analysis. @ 7.38 a qt, its costly. but the truck is no longer my daily driver so the increase in mpg, performance, and protection are worth it to me. Especially if i put less than 10k miles a year on it now.

if you drive a lot the benifit might be better, you would do less oil changes. i did it just to do it.

good luck with your desicion. most people seem to like mobil 1, amsoil, and royal purple.
Old July 1st, 2008, 12:06 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for the heads up. I think I may just try it! I am having a rough time trying to find Royal Purple in my area for some reason though...
Old July 1st, 2008, 2:10 PM
CF Active Member

do you have an autozone or advanced auto?

again alot of people on here and some of the other forums like Mobil one. ive never personally used it nor anyone i know. they have either used regular penzoil or royal purple. mobil is suppose to be pretty good though.

the main thing i would say is dont do it for more power or mpg you will most likely be dissapointed. just do it for better protection.
good luck
Old July 1st, 2008, 2:41 PM
CF Junior Member

Now, y'all may not think this is pertinent, but I just wanted to throw it in anyway. About 20 years ago, I conducted a test that I never submitted the results to anyone, but I'll throw it out here just for information.

In the Navy, we had Teletype machines that ran 24-7, and the motors on these machines would get very hot and the bearings would fail. For this reason, we did frequent overhauls on the motors to keep the unexpected failures to a minimum.

One night, we put a thermocouple on the motor bearings just to monitor the actual heat buildup of a typical machine, and found that it rose to 180F within the first 30 minutes and then would level off. The motor bearings, depending on the amount of teletype traffic, would flutuate between 180 and 200 degrees. This was all with the standard bearing grease as specified in the official specification.

So....then we cleaned all that grease out of the bearings with Trichloroethane and a Sonic Cleaner, then sprayed them with Teflon lubricant. (You couldn't even see it). Then installed into the same motor. Temperature rose to 90F in the first 30 minutes.(the room temp was 72). We put it under load and it never went above 100F. So we decided to let it run for days under load. At the end of each watch, the results were passed to the next crew, and for 3 months, the temperature never deviated more than a few degrees.

We got yelled at for doing this test without permission, so we had to quit. But it was the coolest thing that this machine worked so hard, and you could touch it with your fingers right on the bearings.

Anyway....I was thinking about getting some of that stuff and mixing it with my oil and monitoring the engine temp....or finding a synthetic that had the microminiature teflon beads in the formula.

That's my story.
Sorry for the interruption. [&o]

Old July 1st, 2008, 3:16 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats an interesting story. As far as synthetics over standard there was a thread I started on this site a couple months ago that had a lot of traffic and opinions. If I knew how to find it I would paste a link here but I dont know how yet. I think I called it Royal Purple weighs in if someone knows how to search for old threads you should take a look at it.
Old July 1st, 2008, 4:27 PM
CF Junior Member

Cool Man! I'll be on the lookout!
Old July 18th, 2008, 7:50 PM
CF Beginner

Check out this link. It's a one page read about a study on Synthetics. Maybe this will help you inyou overall decision.

http://www.firstfives.org/faq/oil/oilartcl.html
Old July 21st, 2008, 9:32 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i am running some cars on royal purple and some on amsoil. it takes few oil trials to have it figured which oil suits which engine best.
synthetics are only twice as expensive as good conventional oils. at the same time, i run my cars easy 10K miles on RP and my wife's lexus is closing on 15K on amsoil, and oil is just mid dark caramel. no grit in it, engine runs very quiet. i, usually wait till slight tap starts from lifters, then change oil. i had 11K on amsoil on my silvie and am shooting for 15K afterlast oil change.
so, do your math, if it's cost efficient.
btw, best filter available is Mobil1. 2nd best. best in the world is not sold in the usa. japan only.
hey, to sweeten a pil for you: new mercedes oil change is $1300(thiriteen hundred) and drain plug is locked and only dealership has key. of course, they change oil every 60 000(thousand) miles.

DO NOT SWITCH TO SYNTHETICS IF YOUR CAR TAKES OIL IN ANY MANNER, IT'S A WASTE OF $$!!!! it'll waste it twice as fast.