Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Timing issue?

Search this Thread

Old March 31st, 2022, 6:24 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing issue?

I have 90 gmc sierra k1500 5.7.
Recently replaced fuel pump, fuel filter, distributor and cap, coolant sensor, plugs and wires Got it al in time. Started it and drove around doing errands then it backfired, sputtered an died. Tried to restart it and sounded
like it wants to start but won't. Tried adejusting the time to start but just wont start. Back track alittle.
The reason why I replaced all those parts I mentioned before because they all either failed or part of a tune up. Failed as the fuel pump went out The distributor cap was bad so replaced the whole distributor oh and the electronic spark control too. Could the timing chain or belt be the issue? The truck is 30 years old and i only had to replace the tranny, starter, alternator and the radiator in this truck. 337,172 miles on it. I think her age is catching up with her so to speak.lol.
Old April 2nd, 2022, 2:58 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolhndluke
I have 90 gmc sierra k1500 5.7.
Recently replaced fuel pump, fuel filter, distributor and cap, coolant sensor, plugs and wires Got it al in time. Started it and drove around doing errands then it backfired, sputtered an died. Tried to restart it and sounded
like it wants to start but won't. Tried adejusting the time to start but just wont start. Back track alittle.
The reason why I replaced all those parts I mentioned before because they all either failed or part of a tune up. Failed as the fuel pump went out The distributor cap was bad so replaced the whole distributor oh and the electronic spark control too. Could the timing chain or belt be the issue? The truck is 30 years old and i only had to replace the tranny, starter, alternator and the radiator in this truck. 337,172 miles on it. I think her age is catching up with her so to speak.lol.
Can you find someone with an OBD I scan tool? If you decide to change the timing chain, get a Cloyes. The stock Chevy chain is a good chain but everything wears out at 32 years.
Old April 2nd, 2022, 9:08 PM
CF Beginner

Default Timing issue. I have a scan tool but it didn't throw out any codes.

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Can you find someone with an OBD I scan tool? If you decide to change the timing chain, get a Cloyes. The stock Chevy chain is a good chain but everything wears out at 32 years.
I have a scantool but its not showing any codes.
Old April 4th, 2022, 3:02 PM
CF Monarch

I have a scantool but its not showing any codes.
Are you sure you installed the distributor correctly? Are you using an OBD II scan tool, or OBD I?
Old April 18th, 2022, 2:17 PM
CF Beginner

Default Timed or not?

So the timing chain had alot of slack in it. Replaced it and installed it according to the manual. I made a tdc whistle so I know when it's at tdc. Adjusted the distributor so as to point to the number one cylinder. Put cap on .installed plugs. Checked and rechecked to make sure they are in the correct order. Go to start it . No start. It sounds like it wants to start it never does. When I press on the gas a little air or something comes out they tbI. Fuel possibly. retard the time.no change.advance time no change. I did a compression check but not to sure on how to interpret them. The internet was unclear also.iwill post the results if somebody can explain it to me please
Old April 18th, 2022, 2:27 PM
CF Beginner

If you insert a screwdriver into the hole where the distributor goes and turn the slotted head. besides having to align it with the distributor does it matter how many times it's been turned
Old April 18th, 2022, 4:07 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

That slotted piece is to the oil pump which the dist drives.
Old April 20th, 2022, 2:46 AM
CF Monarch

So the timing chain had alot of slack in it. Replaced it and installed it according to the manual. I made a tdc whistle so I know when it's at tdc. Adjusted the distributor so as to point to the number one cylinder. Put cap on .installed plugs. Checked and rechecked to make sure they are in the correct order. Go to start it . No start. It sounds like it wants to start it never does. When I press on the gas a little air or something comes out they tbI. Fuel possibly. retard the time.no change.advance time no change. I did a compression check but not to sure on how to interpret them. The internet was unclear also.iwill post the results if somebody can explain it to me please
It all comes down to ignition or fuel, barring issues like piston or valve issues, so either your timing is off or you are not getting fuel. Please do post your compression test values.

BTW, did you only do dry values, or did you add oil values as well?
Old April 26th, 2022, 2:32 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
It all comes down to ignition or fuel, barring issues like piston or valve issues, so either your timing is off or you are not getting fuel. Please do post your compression test values.

BTW, did you only do dry values, or did you add oil values as well?
I did both.

Old April 27th, 2022, 9:55 PM
CF Monarch

I did both.
Looks really good except cylinder #8 but with over 300000 miles, that's to be expected as normal even if it's over the 15% difference line between cylinders. #8 looks close at 130 PSI dry, however, but 110 PSI is too low.

They make additives that MIGHT help, if you have carboned up piston rings, in case that's an issue. But It's hit or miss with those cleaners. Sometimes they work well, sometimes they don't. Carbon is very hard, so some have you pour down the cylinder and let it soak in, before you run it. If I did that, I'd change the motor oil not long after to get all the sludge and carbon out of the engine.Even ACDelco sells a top end cleaner.

Last edited by oilcanhenry; April 27th, 2022 at 10:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Timing issue?