Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Tired of looking at that message and light...

Search this Thread

Old October 15th, 2012, 5:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tired of looking at that message and light...

Hello all;

I've got that ever wonderful ABS/parking brake light combo accompanied w/ the SERVICE BRAKE SYSTEM messaged appearing on the dashboard of my 2003 Silverado 1500 LT pickup.

The codes my mechanic pulled are: CO225 (left front wheel speed sensor) and CO245 (EBCM Internal Solenoid or control valve circuit).

I do not have stock wheels and was curious if that could be part of the problem here. The truck currently has 245/70 tires and 17" wheels.

I did the front and rear brakes 'n rotors a few weeks ago and the light stayed off for a day or 3, but has since reemerged.

I've cleaned the speed sensors and checked my bearings for play. All is well as far as I can tell.

Any ideas??
Old October 16th, 2012, 8:18 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would bet your EBM is going out.Very,very common on these trucks.

Have it rebuilt here ModuleMaster | Chevy Truck Info

I did and is a great company to work with.
Old October 17th, 2012, 12:03 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the reply!

Is there maybe a specific code that would rule out all other possibilities for anything other than a bad EBM? I'd hate to have to go through all that trouble to still have that lousy light/message gracing me w/ its presence after a module rebuild.

I've heard nothing but good things about M.M., so thanks for the referral, 67Motorcat!
Old October 17th, 2012, 9:07 AM
CF Active Member

If I remember correctly code C625 is for sure a Module problem and fixable.

If Code C245 is present that's the one that can't be fixed but they usually have a core they can use for an additional $60.00.

Beats the cost of a new one though at around $900.00
Old October 19th, 2012, 1:24 PM
CF Active Member

Default Kelsie Hayes Module

My 2001 1500 4x4 experienced the same problem, First I cleaned the ground wires on the frame extension under drivers door. Helped but did not fix the main problem. Removed ABS Module under drivers door on frame and had this company rebuilt it for a total of $75 w/ shipping. Have had no problems for over a year since installing part. Use this link for access to their site on E-bay.

Chevrolet, Chevy items in BBA store on eBay!

Last edited by ToooTall1; October 19th, 2012 at 1:28 PM.
Old October 20th, 2012, 3:43 PM
CF Beginner

67Motorcat, thanks for the clarification on the code definitions. It's nice to know what's going on w/ my rig. You make is sound as though the module is about to give up the ghost and that I'll possibly need a refurbished one. Hopefully that's not the case but if it is, well, I know where to get new unit.

ToooTall1, I was not aware of that service via ebay, so thank you kindly for that link. Did you have the same codes as me by chance? I might give these guys a try since they're significantly cheaper and back their work w/ a lifetime warranty.

Thanks again for the replies!
Old October 21st, 2012, 10:39 AM
CF Active Member

Default Code

Yes I did have the same code and if you have them repair the module after reinstalling the unit you must drive it over 5mph to reset the module. Good luck on your repair, I would once again have a unit repaired by them since I have 2 other Silverados that someday may need repair.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 12:13 PM
CF Beginner

UPDATE:

Well,

I went the BBA-Reman. route (the link that Tootall provided) w/ hopes of saving some money on my module rebuild. Turns out that that, as previously stated by Motorcat, that the unit is unrepairable and thus damned to the life of a weird looking paper weight or door stop. Anyhoo, the folks over at BBA were very easy to work and even upgraded my shipping for free so I could start my search for a new EBCM. Pretty cool!

Long story short, I called up module masters and bought a refurbished unit for my rig on Monday, received it on Wednesday, mounted it on yesterday followed w/ a successful test drive and will be driving around today to see if it does its job.

Thanks again for the replies and insight ToooTall and Motorcat. It's greatly appreciated!
Old November 23rd, 2012, 7:28 PM
CF Active Member

Good Story.....On the road again

Yeah Module Masters specializes and has lots of cores available for folks when needed.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 9:05 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We use module master at work for almost every make and model. They do great work with a fast turn around. I think they could have repaired the original posters module as they have done many for us with co245. They have never not fixed one we sent them.