Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 6:04 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Towing & Hauling Guides
Print Wikipost

Trailer Towing Help

Search this Thread

Old October 4th, 2012, 1:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer Towing Help

I have 2009 Chevy Silverado installed with:
HD Trailering Equipment Package which is:
Locking Rear Differential, handling/trailering suspension

I have a tandem axle trailer with one brake on one of the axles. I was wondering what my Tow/Haul mode does for me, and if I should install a brake controller system. Is it difficult do I have the right truck to get the job done?

thanks in advance for any help.
Old October 4th, 2012, 4:24 PM
CF Beginner

Depends on the weight of the trailer. If you have a 2500HD you can pull a trailer about 9,00o lbs. My 2011 Siilverado came equiped with the trailer brake controller installed. It is on the lower dash near the driver door. Not sure how yours came equipped.
Old October 4th, 2012, 5:35 PM
CF Beginner

My truck has a 7 wire harness on the back that the trailer connects to... I believe there is a wire up front that could be connected to a brake controller wire so I can install a brake controller for my trailer. Then I need to put a fuse in the fuse box so the battery/trailer brake works. I'm trying to figure this out any help finding the harness up front would be much appreciated
Old October 4th, 2012, 5:37 PM
CF Beginner

This is what my dealer said about this truck:

7-wire harness (harness includes wires for: park lamps, backup lamps, right turn, left turn, electric brake lead, battery, and ground) with independent fused trailering circuits mated to a 7 way sealed connector.
Old October 4th, 2012, 6:42 PM
CF Beginner

Your truck should have came with a wire harness that you can splice to the brake controlle rwires coming off the back of the controller then the harness that came with the truck should just plug into the relay panel under the dash(this is how it hooked up on my 07) You can also buy harnesses that plug into the brake controller and then straight in to your truck under the dash so you don't have to connect any wires and have to worry about bad connections(this is the option I chose to hook up my brake controller) I would say use a brake controller if you are pulling a trailer over 3500lbs capacity, I would say if the trailer has brakes then it is big enough that you should have a controller and not just rely on your truck brakes. Hopefully this helps
Old October 4th, 2012, 6:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

the tow/haul switch will alter the transmission shift strategy.

The truck is ready for a brake controller. The set-up is easy and straightforward.
Old October 4th, 2012, 9:42 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tow a 23 foot boat with a big block in it roughly 3,800 lbs. I do not have a electronic trailer brake nor does it feel like I need one.
Old October 4th, 2012, 9:49 PM
CF Beginner

Do I still need to do the splice? Or will I just be able to plug the harness into the controller? i'm trying to open up the center instrument panel fuse block (I think the harness is in there), but I can't seem to open it.
Old October 5th, 2012, 10:31 AM
CF Beginner

Default Brake Controller

<TABLE style="HEIGHT: 100%" class=table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="HEIGHT: 20px" class=module_right_title><TABLE class=table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=right_tleft></TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" class=right_tspacer>[ Close Window ] [ Print Window ]</TD><TD class=right_tright></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; HEIGHT: 100%">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
I'm not electrical savvy. I have an Alldata CD and this is what it shows for the Brake controller hook up. I'm assuming your 09 came with one since you have the tow Package. I just plug in my trailer to the connector on the back of the truck. My trailer weighs 7,000 lbs and has brakes on one axle. If yours doesn't have the controller installed get a good one. Hook up the trailer and go around the block slowly and tap the brakes. If set up properly you should feel some drag from the trailer. Hope this helps. Remember mine is a 2011.

Last edited by TDSSD; October 5th, 2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old October 5th, 2012, 10:44 AM
CF Beginner

Default Additional info

<TABLE class=table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=lower></TD><TD class=lift></TD><TD class=upper><TABLE class=table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=left>

</TD><TD class=right>Welcome GEORGE KROPP
Leading source of Online Diagnostic & Repair Information
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=right><TABLE class=table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Your Vehicle: 2011 Chevy Truck Silverado 2500 4WD V8-6.0L</TD></TR><!--Start of ad section--><TR><TD class=ad_group><TABLE class=table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center">
<TD class=spacer align=center></TD>
<!--<td class="spacer"></td>--></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><!--End of ad section--><!--Start of breadcrumbs--><TR><TD class=module_vehicle_location><TABLE class=table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=left_vleft></TD><TD class=right_vspacer><TABLE class=table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=right_vspacer_left>Vehicle » Accessories and Optional Equipment » Towing / Trailer System » Technical Service Bulletins » Accessories - Aftermarket Trailer Brake Controller</TD><TD class=right_vspacer_right></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=right_vright></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><!--End of breadcrumbs--><TR><TD style="HEIGHT: 10px"></TD></TR><TR><TD class=module_right_title><TABLE class=table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=right_tleft></TD><TD class=right_tspacer>Accessories - Aftermarket Trailer Brake Controller</TD><TD class=right_tright></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD style="HEIGHT: 10px"></TD></TR><TR><TD>INFORMATION
Bulletin No.: 07-08-45-001G
Date: January 26, 2012
Subject: Procedure for Installation of an Aftermarket Trailer Brake Controller
Models:
2007-2012 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
2007-2012 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2007-2012 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL
2008-2010 HUMMER H2
with Integrated Trailer Brake Controller
Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised to add the 2012 model year. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Numbers 07-08-45-001F (Section 08 - Body and Accessories).
Important
Installation of an electric brake controller and the wiring connections outlined in this bulletin are the responsibility of the dealership or customer. These repairs should never be charged to warranty. If you have any questions, please consult with your District Service Manager.
Some customers may request to have an aftermarket trailer brake controller added to their vehicle, OR in lieu of the factory integrated trailer brake controller (ITBC) (RPO JL1).
Installation Instructions
Starting with the new 2007 full-size utilities and pickups and 2008 HUMMER H2, there is no longer an electric trailer brake controller pigtail harness.
To install an aftermarket trailer brake controller, use the four blunt cut wires located near the data link connector.
The following steps should be used to complete the installation.

<INPUT class=zoom_btn title=Zoom type=button> <INPUT class=sized_for_print_btn title="Sized for Print" type=button>

<INPUT class=zoom_btn title=Zoom type=button> <INPUT class=sized_for_print_btn title="Sized for Print" type=button>
Important
Ensure that the ringlets are not interfering with the UBEC cover.
<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=1><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD>1.</TD><TD>Place the terminal on the larger of the two studs at the front of the electrical center and secure with an M8 nut. This is circuit #242 to stud #2, to power the aftermarket trailer brake controller.
Important
The fuse is already present in the vehicle to power the electrical trailer brake controller system.
</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>2.</TD><TD>ONLY For Vehicles Equipped with JL1 - Locate connector X126 or X115 (varies with vehicle build; refer to SI) near the underhood fuse block. Refer to SI Document ID# 1849049 - I/P Harness-Engine Compartment. Circuit 47 from the blunt cut wires near the data link connector will end at connector X126 terminal "G" or X115 terminal "B5." Obtain enough Dark Blue 12 gauge wire to run from X126/X115 to the 7-way trailer connector at the bumper. On one end of the Dark Blue wire attach terminal part number 15304732, located in Delphi Tray 8 and insert into X126 "G" or terminal part number 15304720 located in Delphi Tray 19 and insert into X115 "B5." Run the Dark Blue wire in its own conduit along the frame to the 7-way trailer connector at the bumper. Remove circuit 47 from the 7-way trailer connector terminal "C" and tape the bare terminal and attach to the harness. Attach terminal part number 12110853, located in Delphi Tray 4, to the other end of the Dark Blue wire and insert it into the 7-way trailer connector terminal "C."
</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>3.</TD><TD>ONLY For Vehicles Equipped with JL1 - The Red/Black wire, circuit 242, must be connected to stud #2 of the 30 Amp fuse of the underhood fuse block. This wire is located between the left fender and the underhood fuse block.
Important
This procedure will not result in any trailer brake related display messages to be set. However, ITBC diagnostics will continue to function. If an ITBC fault is detected, a "Service Trailer Brake System" message will be displayed on the driver information center (DIC) and an appropriate DTC will be stored in the ITBC module. The operator will still be able to adjust gain and access the "Trailer Gain / Output" display page in the DIC. However, the factory installed ITBC system will not sense a trailer connection and will not provide output to the trailer.

<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=1><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD>4.</TD><TD>Locate the trailer brake control circuits that are looped and taped to the main harness under the instrument panel.

<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=1><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD>5.</TD><TD>Pull the trailering wire harness down.

<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=1><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD>6.</TD><TD>Match the vehicle harness label circuit functions to the trailer brake controller jumper harness functions.
Important
The color or wires to be joined together may not match.
<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=1><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD>-</TD><TD>Dark Blue Wire: switched power from controller to trailer brakes
</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>-</TD><TD>Red with Black Stripe: fused vehicle power to electrical brake controller
</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>-</TD><TD>Light Blue with White Stripe: Brake switch input to power electric brake controller
</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>-</TD><TD>White: ground
</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>-</TD><TD>Orange: CHMSL (Center High Mounted Stop Lamp) - not required with most systems
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=1><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD>7.</TD><TD>After completing the under dash connections to the electric brake controller, open the hood and locate the red wire that is taped to the harness between the underhood electrical center and the driver side front fender.
</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>8.</TD><TD>Break the tape on the red/black wire and pull it toward the front of vehicle.
</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>9.</TD><TD>Remove the lid from the electrical center.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Auxiliary Power (Applies to All LD and 2007-2009 HD's Only) Without JL1

Circuit #742 for Auxiliary Power at the 7-way trailer connector is no longer connected by the GM Assembly Plant. If the customer desires auxiliary power at the trailer connector location (i.e. refrigeration, battery charger or interior light in the trailer), complete the following steps to connect circuit #742:
<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=1><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD>1.</TD><TD>Locate the red/black wire, looped and taped to the chassis harness, below the brake master cylinder.
</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>2.</TD><TD>Break the tape and route the wire to the front of the underhood electrical center.

Important
Ensure that the ringlets are not interfering with the UBEC cover.
<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=1><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD>3.</TD><TD>Place the terminal on the smaller of the two studs on the electrical center and secure with an M6 fastener. This is circuit #742 to stud #1 for auxiliary power to the 7-way trailer connector.
</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>4.</TD><TD>ONLY for vehicles without RPO TP2 - Auxiliary Battery, install a 40 amp fuse to power the circuit.
Important
For vehicles equipped with RPO TP2 - Devices powered by this fuse will drain the vehicle battery if left connected with the vehicle not running.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Warranty Information
This installation procedure is to be performed at the customer's request and at their expense. It is not a warranty repair and a claim should not be submitted for reimbursement.

Disclaimer

<TABLE class=table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=upper></TD><TD class=dip></TD><TD class=lower>Account | Vehicle | Contact | Exit</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
© 2012 ALLDATA, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Trademarks | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions

Quick Reply: Trailer Towing Help