Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

transfer case issues

Search this Thread

Old February 3rd, 2015 | 7:10 PM
row
CF Beginner

Default transfer case issues

i own a 1995 chevy silverado 4.3l 4x4 w/an nv3500 5 spd manual transmission. i just replaced the throw out bearing and after reassembling everything i discovered a left over part(s) that i have no idea where it came from.

it is a plunger and spring. the plunger is roughly 1" long, about 3/8" in diameter, rounded at one end with a small hole, and open on the other. the spring (which inserts into the open end of the plunger) is fairly stiff, about 2 1/2" long and maybe 5/16" in diameter.

the transfer case is manually shifted and prior to the work above shifting between the four options (4h - neutral - 2h - 4l) took a concentrated effort to move the shifter. it now slides back and forth almost at will. when driving the vehicle the transfer case shifter will on occasion now pop out of 2h into neutral.

i suspect that the plunger and spring is somehow responsible for maintaining the tranfser case shifter in position.

any help would be be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance!
Old February 8th, 2015 | 5:03 PM
row
CF Beginner

certainly there must be someone here who has an answer?
Old February 8th, 2015 | 5:16 PM
Super Moderator

post a pic.

what do you want; an exploded view of the t-case? if so which tcase do you have.
Old February 10th, 2015 | 6:53 PM
row
CF Beginner

thank you for your response. here are the items in question

Name:  100_6778_zpswnb9idbs.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  29.4 KB

Name:  100_6777_zpsz7edd0er.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  28.9 KB
Old February 11th, 2015 | 8:50 PM
Super Moderator

looks like the shift detent plunger and spring. replacing it will fix your problem. I do not have a pic for a model that old.

newer models have a bolt at the bottom that can be removed and the plunger and spring installed.

Last edited by tech2; February 11th, 2015 at 8:55 PM.
Old February 14th, 2015 | 7:19 PM
row
CF Beginner

thanks for your interest tech2. can i assume you're suggesting that the plunger and spring are part of the t.c. shifting linkage since the t.c was never taken apart?
Old February 14th, 2015 | 8:26 PM
Super Moderator

what did you take apart? the clutch release bearing?
Old February 14th, 2015 | 11:47 PM
row
CF Beginner

well i dropped both drive shafts, the transfer case, exhaust system from the headers to the muffler and a cross member, finally dropped the transmission. replaced the clutch disc, pressure plate, clutch ball pivot, clutch arm and throw out bearing. job was simple but labor intensive.

i had zero experience with chevy's, i've owned bugs for years and working on them was the extent of my automotive mechanical experience.

the t.c. shift linkage couldn't be any more simple - a shaft that protrudes from the t.c. with an arm on it. the arm has a hole that an adjustable rod fits into, the other end of this rod attaches to the shifting lever that's actuated from the cab. i see no place on the shift linkage that this plunger and spring could have fallen out of, yet it makes sense that a part of this nature would prevent the shifter from simply flopping back and forth. for all i know someone came by and threw these damn parts on the ground where i was working and they don't even belong to the vehicle.

it's just curious that prior to replacing the throwout bearing the t.c. shifter was fine (i've used 4 wheel drive maybe twice in the 5 years i've owned the truck), and once stuff was back together the shifter won't stay put and it appears i have parts left over.