Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Truck lurches at stop light...?

Search this Thread

Old February 6th, 2010, 7:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck lurches at stop light...?

I really hate the fact that my first post is going to be a problem, but I'm a little worried and I need help.

So I've just bought a used 2008 silverado ext. cab; and almost every time I stop at a sign or a light, my truck will lurch forward and make a sort-of "popping" noise, almost like something that's locked up is suddenly being released... Anyone have any ideas as to what this could be? I'm sure it would be covered under warranty, but I want to have a better idea of what to tell my dealership when I bring it in. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Hope this helps:

2008 silverado ext. cab, 5.3, auto tranny, no traction control, drum brakes in rear, disk in front, 2 wheel drive, 34k miles, possible female for previous owner (victoria's secret stickers inside, small lipstick stain in headliner, brake rotors and rear bumper both destroyed... no offense ladies, but seriously...)
Old February 6th, 2010, 8:50 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like the drive shaft gets stuck in the back of the trans. They will probably pull the shaft and lube it.
Old February 7th, 2010, 7:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

MAYBE the torque converter lockup solenoid. could be a bit sticky. had a '94 silverado, same problem. $2000 later, found it to be a $20 part. hope this helps.
Old May 7th, 2010, 11:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have basically the same truck, the dealer gave me a bulletin about the slip yoke on the transfer case, guess what, I don't have a transfer case my truck is 2WD. Mine does it so hard it feels like I got rearended, the dealer told me everytime that there was nothing wrong. Wish someone could figure this time out.
Old May 8th, 2010, 4:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like MDTahoe said, lube the driveshaft...
Old May 10th, 2010, 6:37 AM
CF Beginner

Had the same prob. with my '07 silverado. what was happening was when you stop the vehical the rear end is actualy tilting forward/down once stopped. Then while your sitting there the leaf sprrings set the rear end back in place.
Old May 10th, 2010, 5:25 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I would have to suggest for the both of you (Mojotics, and crwalker2) to take your vehicles to be checked at the dealership. I know you've had a bad experience with yours crwalker2 but it really is the best place to go if your vehicle is under warranty. If you still have issues with them then you can reach me here and I can try to help you.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old September 2nd, 2020, 4:23 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by crwalker2
I have basically the same truck, the dealer gave me a bulletin about the slip yoke on the transfer case, guess what, I don't have a transfer case my truck is 2WD. Mine does it so hard it feels like I got rearended, the dealer told me everytime that there was nothing wrong. Wish someone could figure this time out.
This same thing just happened in our 2012 Tahoe. Stopped, with Tahoe still in Drive, the vehicle violently lurched as if we'd been rear-ended or like a bom went off. This is an old thread, but @crwalker2 did you solve the problem?